X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Dowel System

Has anyone tried the miller dowel system yet? If so, please comment on it.

For years, I have used straight dowels for the same type of "pinch" joinery, such as edging plys or particle board for hinge mounting. This seams to apply a little more compression to the mating serfaces as well as holding alignment.

I frequent large ply panels to frames; glueing, counter sinking screws, and pluging for large doors. This seams to be an adiquite alternative, and I'm looking for comments on the actual performance of the system compression. Clamping for drilling is a givin for alignment. Clamping is not always an option for compression, which brings me to the use of screws for compression.

Before investing I'd like some comments and examples of the Miller Dowel System usage. Cost is always an issue, so if that info is available...

Thanks in advance!
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

I am dissapointed that no one has offered experience with the miller system. Must I be the first?
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I just use Biscuits. I'd bet that most other do too. I'm not sure I really understand "pinch" joinery, I am not a professional, just a home hobbyist. I have to confess, I didn't quite understand your post explaining how you use the dowelling system, are you saying that you use it to align face frames to cabinet carcases?
      Here's part of your post that I don't quite get:

"I'm looking for comments on the actual performance of the system compression. Clamping for drilling is a givin for alignment. Clamping is not always an option for compression, which brings me to the use of screws for compression."

I'm not understanding exactly what you mean by "compression". What exactly is being compressed?

Comment

I saw the system demo'd at the Highland Hardware Tent Event a few weeks ago. I have also watched the 8 min demo from their website.

From both of those I would say that for the Approx $20 it would cost to try it you cannot go wrong.

If I need dowels for joints I will use it.

Comment

Working...
        X