No announcement yet.

Cheap "Grip clamp" repair and improvement

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap "Grip clamp" repair and improvement

Good day

I bought those cheap grip clamps. After some time I noticed that they are not "gripping" but sliding back. Another problem was, the handle pin housing breaking.

For the pin housing, I drilled hole and replaced the pin with screw (bolt) washers and nut.

I solved the sliding problem by grinding the clamp bar narrow sides with # 40 to make them rough.

It was such a good repair, that I made it on all my grip clamps, even the good ones.

Re: Cheap "Grip clamp" repair and improvement

Good idea! I've got a small collection of those clamps. I'll save your repair idea for when they start to fail. Thanks for all the good ideas and their clear presentation.

Re: Cheap "Grip clamp" repair and improvement

Superb, Niki! I've got a bunch of these clamps, and you're right..they definitely don't clamp as well as they used to. I always thought it was a problem of the clamp itself not being able to handle a good amount of pressure. Then I recently got a couple new ones (6" Irwins on sale 2for1 somewhere), and the new ones have more clamping pressure than the old ones. Thanks for posting this so clearly.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.