X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Scroll Saw

I have long been disappointed to find out that Ridgid did not make a scroll saw. Then I discovered that they USED TO! The SS1650 was discontinued a year or so back, as far as I can tell.

Call me silly or something, but I am diehard Ridgid for my larger power tools. I would without a doubt buy a Ridgid Scroll Saw over just about any competing product, if one were available.

Does anyone know if there is any chance that the Ridgid folks are going to put out a new scroll saw some day?

My wife is looking forward to this tool being added to my shop. SHE wants to play with IT!

Captain,

There are no plans for a scroll saw at this time

Jake

Comment

Captain, Take a look at the DeWalt out there. They have a hugh capacity, a large table surface, and only cost 3 or 400 bucks. Nice thing though, is that you can get a nice tilting stand for it that makes things a whole lot easier to cut. [img]smile.gif[/img] ( I wish I had thae money to get one )

Comment

Jake, I have one of these scroll saws, is the warranty still going to be honored. I don't have a problem now just curious.

Comment

Captain, I too was fully disapointed to find out Ridgid had discontinued the scroll saw when I stocked my shop of Ridgid Machinery. Although (and this is a rare occasion) the salesman I was working with at Home Depot was very knowledgable of Ridgid equipment and tried all his soarces to locate one and could not. He did know someone that had a used one for sale. I got lucky. Though it did have a bad motor, a phone call to Emerson and I had a new one in 2 days with not even so much as a penny shipping.
          Might be a good idea to visit some other woodworking boards that have a "Tool Trader" forums and post a "Looking For" message. I don't know why Ridgid discontinued it because I love the thing! Would not trade it for a bigger one.
          Good Luck in your search.
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnarre:
            There are no plans for a scroll saw at this time
            What a shame, Jake. Is there any chance you can tell me why? It seems, in general, that Ridgid (emerson) seems to be strategically orienting themselves a little more toward the larger end tools.

I.E. table saws, jointers, planers, band saws, etc.

Is there some particular reason that you guys are opting out of the market to make things such as a scroll saw, or perhaps tools such as a router and/or router table?

I have been SO impressed by the Ridgid power tools, and seem to here nothing but praise from the community in general. Furthermore, it seems that you guys really produce really great quality tools, so I would think that an extension to your product line would sell very well.

Aye. Maybe I just don't understand the economics or the business properly.

I hope you guys decide to start putting out more such tools by the time that I can actually afford them.

Comment

Allen,

Yes your warrenty will be honored and we will stock parts for some time to come.

Captain,

The model that we used to make was overcome by newer models in the market, so it was discontinued. We have just made the choice to put our engineering resources toward other tools at this time. That's not to say that we will not have a scroll saw in the future, but for the time being there is no plans to release a unit.

Jake

Comment

I have a friend who told me that he can find me a Ridgid scroll saw if I give him a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Dremel 16 variable speed saw. Looks pretty nice. The table tilts to both directions and has a work light and dust blower. They are available at HD in my area for $188 including a steel workstand. Thinking this one over. Any opinions?

Comment

For those in the market for a scroll saw, I'd look at the Dremil---I have an older 2-speed model and it's fantasitic---great blade tracking/tension and very low vibration. I think they're an overlooked brand.

I understand Jake's comments on the market/competition. I guess this is also a good time to comment on HD as well.

I think there's also a factor in that HD has chosen not to carry as wide a selection of tools as they once did. Don't know if it was due to lack of sales, but as the golden rule of retailing says "if you don't stock it, no one can buy it." I will just say, with a HD gift card for Christmas, I spent a lot of time trying to find something to buy. I was looking for the Rigid Flip Stand---didn't have them----Besey clamps---out of stock---finally stuck the gift card in a drawer.
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X