X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidance on blade for TS3660

I would like to replace the stock blade on my TS3660, and while I have read many posts on blade preferences, one question still comes to mind. I noticed on the Freud site, that it shows suitability for various blade uses. I also noticed it gave a range of wood thicknesses that are most suited for the blade. Some are 3/4" thick. If I needed to cut something half that thickness, would these blades be a problem? I was thinking of the Freud LU88R010, which has a stated minimum thickness of 1/2". For now, I am just making garage shelves and cabinets (plywood & pine) and nothing fancy, yet. Hardwoods and the like are way off, but if there is still one blade that could do thin and thicker materials, I would consider it. Thoughts?

- Phil

Re: Guidance on blade for TS3660

I have never really thought of a blade as having a minimum material thickness but it does make some sense. The LU88R010 has an aggressive hook angle that could cause chipping in thin wood but you should be able to compensate for that by slowing the feed rate. The LU88R010 at 60 teeth is what I would consider to fall into the general purpose range. What I mean is that you could rip or crosscut with it but it won't do a very good job at either. I like an 80 tooth for crosscut (LU79 for ply, melamine, solid wood or LU74 for solid wood only) and a 24 tooth for rip (LU87) .

Comment

I've been thinking the same thing (replacing the stock blade). Been himmin and hawin over this blade, anyone have any experience? Or any of the other Ridgid blades?

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Combinat...e/EN/index.htm

Comment

Of the 40 or so blades that I've tried, the LU88 is one of my all around favorite blades for tackling a variety of tasks with a saw less than 3hp. It's listed as a crosscut blade but it's 15° hook angle give it impressive ripping ability for a 60T blade, and the higher tooth count equates to a very clean cut. It's thin kerf poses very low load resistance for your saw and allows it to operate in thicker materials than comparably designed full kerf blades on a smaller saw without bogging. It's very well made, and very versatile blade for all but the heaviest ripping tasks. It cuts cleaner than my WWII, Ridge Carbide TS2000, DW7657, Infinity Combomax, LU84, and Tenryu Gold Medal giving it an advantage in fine finish cuts and plywood. It'll rip well to ~ 6/4" material, but falls slightly short of the better 40T blades in materials thicker than that. If you'll be doing more plywood, veneers, or fine crosscuts, something like the Infinity 010-060 has some advantages over the LU88.

The Ridgid Titanium series is made by Freud to similar standards as their Diablo and TK/Avanti lines. Unfortunately they tend to be priced more comparably to the Freud Industrial line, which I believe is a better blade and better value at sale prices.

Comment

Working...
        X