Freud Stacked Dado Sets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freud Stacked Dado Sets

I recently decided to buy an 8" dado set. I have heard a lot of good things about the Freud Super dado. When I went to HD to look around I found that they only carry the Freud "Pro" set which is one of the SD200 series dados. After checking this out I found that in addition to the Pro series, Freud also has a "Safety Dado" (SD300 series) as well as the "Super Dado" (SD500 series). That's a lot of dados!!!!

My local HD sales the SD208 "PRO Dado" for about $100 but they will price match the $85 price I found on the net. I also found the SD508 "Super Dado" on line for $175. (best price I've found plus no shipping charge)

My question is this. Has anyone had experiance with both the "Pro" and the "Super". I know there are additional size configurations possible with the "Super" but I'm wondering about the cut quality and anything else that should be considered. I had my mind made up about the "Super Dado" until I realized Freud had more than one series. I'm still leaning that way but wondered if someone might give me a reason to reconsider.

Thanks,
    Wood Dog

I have tried the "Safety Dado"---made two cuts and took it back. Been using the Sears fine-cut for years and never knew what a blow-out was til I tried the Freud. If you do get a Freud set, make sure it has instructions.

Dave
    Dave

Comment

Don't know about the Safety, but I believe the Pro has two-tip chippers while the Super has four tips. Supposed to make finer cuts and more even bottom profiles. From what I have read, it is worth it.

Comment

Follow Up:

I ordered the Freud 8" Super Dado and received it Friday. I am very happy with this kit. It has an extreme amount of adjustability with all the different size chippers and shims included. Very flat bottoms and very smooth cuts. I set up my TS2424 to plow PT pine at 25/32"(weird plywood). I made two passed to get a 1/2" final depth on the 2X's with no pain and no strain. I used the 7" dado insert which was included with my table saw with no problems. At this point, I don't see the need for the 8" insert. I had plenty of head room left at the 1/2" depth.

The only thing I did to improve the kit was mark the chipper and shim sizes with a perm marker to save set up time. I also added a rotation direction just to keep me from doing something dumb when I get in a hurry. I just know me. I found out a long time ago the blades work better when the carbid faces the front!!!! (Just a little experiment I ran in case anyone wanted to know)

Bottom line, well made product, good value and works very well on the TS2424. I was also surprised at how quiet it ran.

Wood Dog

Comment

Working...
        X