Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaper or Router/Table

This may not be an OR question.

What advantages does a router & table have over a shaper? I have 2 inexpensive fixed base routers now. One used freehand and one mounted to a cheapo, stamped metal benchtop table.

Contemplated uses mostly center on edge shaping and dadoing. I can contemplate doing some mortise work, but would have to buy a plunge router for that. In a few years, I might have the time to do raised panel work.

Thanks for your thoughts, Curt

Is expense a issue?
    A good router table set up will push a grand with bits. Shaper bits are generally more expensive. Shapers can be a bit more dangerous, and more expense themselves.
    Unless your going to be making alot of mouldings, I would stick with a good router table set up.
    Just my 2 cents.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

In my past searches I've found you can get a decent shaper and a good router/table set up for around the same base price. If you want more you'll pay more.

For me it boiled down to the price of the cutters. 1 rail and stile shaper set would flatten my bit budget for quite a while.

For what it's worth I would get a nice router, table and a router lift. JMO

Scott
      NO NO NO- I engineered it to look like that!! Crooked-HA!

Comment

Working...
      X