X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer Information

Alright everyone let me have your thoughts on jointers. Which brand you have, Ridgid or otherwise. Why you chose the 6" over the 8" or the other way around. I absolutely love my new ts2424 but I know at some point in the future I will purchase a jointer. I have done quite a bit research (i.e. Grizzly, Sunhill, Ridgid, Jet, etc.). Is it worth it to pay extra for an 8" to gain 2 more inches? Or would the better value be in the 6 inch model? Just let me know what you think when you all get a chance.

Gregg

I've got a small Delta 6". Only retgret is that this model came with a cast aluminum fence---pretty poor, instead of a cast iron one. Aside from, obviously, price---with an 8" jointer, you also gain bed length--which is probably more important than cutter width.

I haven't really looked at the Rigid jointer. Delta and Jet look real nice. Just remember, as I said in the HF thread, the precision of the castings and ease of fence alignment are very important on a jointer--quality really counts.

In your shopping, you might consider a closed base model---just seems like it would be better dust collection, although I've seen some open stand jointers, that have dust chutes---a nice feature to keep sawdust controlled.
    Dave

Comment

I have the Delta VS Benchtop, 37-070. It works well, but I plan to extend the beds per the Woodsmith/ shopnotes plan. I have looked at the new Ridgid, and it looks pretty nice at $499 even nicer at some discount. Guess I'll bide my time.

MikeN [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

my 2 cents again.. I have a Craftsman 4" which was a GREAT mistake. moved up to a Delta 37-070 6" at this time I am about to say that was also a mistake, but it works ok. What I would suggest is , save your money until you can get at least an 8" with LONG IN & OUT tables. Wish that I had done this myself. One learns sometimes the HARD way..What I have sent on the 2 I could have had the 8". dd [img]redface.gif[/img] at myself will get over it one day when the $ are here.

Comment

I've had a Jet 6" jointer for almost a yr. Works great. Much more cost effective than 8" jointer.
          If I were in the market for one now, I'd give serious consideration to the Ridgid. Heard nothing but good things about it. The ace for Ridgid is the warranty.

Comment

Working...
          X