Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I actually see a TS3650 out of the box?

I have checked with every HD in the Denver and Colorado Springs area (over 20) - all of them still have the 3650 saws (in boxes) and no one has one on display. Can anyone tell me where I could actually inspect one prior to plunking down over $500 for one?
    Thanks!
    Mark

Re: Where can I actually see a TS3650 out of the box?

Some of the HDs out here have them on display. They seem to be phasing out having them on display. Must be part of HD's plan to reduce their earnings.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Put an add in the local craigslist, in the Tools section, and ask an owner of one in your area if you could look at theirs.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I bought my 3650 based on the reviews and pics of it, not ideal but I knew getting a look at one first was not going to be easy. The craigslist idea is good one and my be your only hope. But if that doesnt work out there are plenty of happy owners and excellent reviews that should provide some measure of comfort.

I am not mechanical nor handy in any way (trying to change that) and I found assembly, set-up, and using the 3650 easy and and a real pleasure. This forum has helped with any questions that came up.

Keep in mind if you do find one in a HD somewhere it may be in rough shape. With all those customers poking and prodding they find ways to break/steal parts that normally wouldnt happen during normal use.

Comment

Opinionwise, I have the 3612 and my only complaint is the dust collection is worthless. If it were heavier that would be nice, but it is not a big deal. Other than that the saw does what I expect a saw of it's type to do. In retrospect I wish I upped a bit more cash and bought a cabinet saw.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by MrIcemaker View Post
            I have checked with every HD in the Denver and Colorado Springs area (over 20) - all of them still have the 3650 saws (in boxes) and no one has one on display. Can anyone tell me where I could actually inspect one prior to plunking down over $500 for one?
            Thanks!
            Mark
            Can't help you in Colorado, but for those in NY the Fishkill store has the TS3650 and the Jointer on display. The tool crib also has enough aisle space that you can navigate a cart in there. When I bought mine three of the guys helped me load it into my car too.

Comment

Is the 3650 still made? There may be some still in stores but I thought the 3660 was the replacement for the 3650.

Either way I' don't know if I would have bought my 3650 if I couldn't have got my hands on it and tried it out a bit. How smooth the various adjustments operate, fit, finish, etc.

We can all tell you that a 3650 is a good saw but it just not the same as trying it out yourself.

So how do we (consumers) turn this around? Well if everyone keeps buying sight-unseen the marketing geniuses will think they have done good and use the money they saved the company to give themselves big fat raises while you're still wondering what you just bought

Go in and ask the Manager or Asst. Manager if there is a display that you can see and touch. If they tell you no then let them know you are heading down the road to Sears or Woodcraft or across the street top Lowes cause they ALL still have floor displays and you're not going to make an investment of this importance without being able to kick the tires a bit. After all a TS is the centerpiece of most shops.

Now put your money where your mouth (or maybe mine would be closer to the truth) is and actually GO to the other stores and see what they have. The RIDGID is a great TS for the price and beats others costing more, but there is plenty of other good iron out there too. If you are real serious about your shop bite the bullet now and go for a cabinet saw or a hybrid. I kinda wished I had done that 4 years ago when I got my 3650. Though it does all I ask and never given me a problem I keep thinking I should have gone past the contractor saws and stepped up to a hybrid or full cabinet saw for a few hundred more.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                Can't help you in Colorado, but for those in NY the Fishkill store has the TS3650 and the Jointer on display. The tool crib also has enough aisle space that you can navigate a cart in there. When I bought mine three of the guys helped me load it into my car too.
                That is in stark contrast to the Poughkeepsie store which isnt that far from the Fishkill one. Was in the Po-town area one day and went into the HD across from Marist and their tool section is HORRIBLE.

Comment

Thanks everyone - this is the end of a long horrible week trying to get a tablesaw (I will post my experiences with "Tool King" and the Delta I purchased and returned another day.) I took BadgerDave's advice, but rather than posting an ad if I could look as someone's saw, I actually found one for sale used. I went and looked at it today, and it passed my exam. Only problem was he wanted $425 for it used (about 2 years old he claimed) and it had some rust on the top.

Went to my closest HD, and asked them for 20% off and I would take one off his hands (he let me know they had 3 in stock of the 3650's, and had not sold one yet this year!)

I just finished putting it together....I will have to do the adjustments tomorrow when I am not so tired and the light in my garage is better. My first impression is that the Delta I put together on Sunday (36-980) was a little more "heavy duty" but not so much that you can tell without actually assembling it. (I will go into more detail when I do a review of the assembly in the next day or so.) But I also paid $160 less for the Ridgid than I did for the Delta - and the Ridgid actually works!

Thanks for all your help!

Mark

Comment

$425 used? He's out of his mind. They were selling here new for under $500 for the past couple of months.
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I have a 3660 fully assembled that you can take a look at.
                      In fact, you want to buy it, I'll let you have it for $450.00.
                      I bought it 4 weeks ago, now I'm moving out of state and it will be difficult to move it.
                      PM me if you are interested. I have have all the manuels, etc.
                      You can call me as well, 303-371-7799.

Comment

Working...
                      X