X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Corian

I have a Corian vanity top that needs a 1" x 3" notch cut out of the back right corner, to fit around an outside corner. The dimensions of my bathroom remodel changed when I installed a new tub, and I need to move my vanity over.

What is the best way to cut Corian?

Thanks,

Peter

Re: Cutting Corian

I'd tape the corner, and cut it with a cordless circular saw, w/ a fresh carbide blade.
    http://www.refined-home.com

Comment

The idea of taping before you cut is great. It'll keep the tool bottom from scratching the surface. Corian works pretty much like wood. You can cut it with a jig saw, circular saw, hand saw, etc the same as you would a piece of wood. The caveat with Corian is that it's brittle. This will only come into play with small pieces. Like if you had to cut that corner and leave a 1 or 2 inch piece on the other side. That small piece would be fragile. I'd use a jig saw to cut out the notch, personally. Wrap all around with a good bunch of tape (blue painters, masking tape, whatever you have) and mark on top of the tape, then cut. Use a new, sharp blade. Small scratches can be fixed with wet/dry sandpaper. Start with a 320 grit and work up to as high as you can get.

I use Corian to make pens, and it works fine. I've had some of the pen barrels chip on the lathe, which is why I caution about the small pieces. The fact that it's a solid surface makes it pretty easy to work with though.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy. Having never cut corian, but for my future reference, what jigsaw blade? The brittleness seems to indicate a metal cutting type blade (fine teeth). Yes or no??

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I'd use a fine-toothed blade, yeah. Actually, you could use a standard 5tpi or so wood blade but the Corian goes to powder instead of chips, so the finer TPI will be ok (don't have lots of stuff to clear out), and should leave a better cut. At least, I've always used a fine-toothed blade. Even a hacksaw w/a metal blade does real well (for those of us that will find the harder way to do everything!)
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks!!

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
            X