X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting A Slot

How would you safely make this type of slot cut in a piece of wood?

Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: Cutting A Slot

drill 2 holes w/ a drill press, use a scroll saw to connect the dots, chuck a mini sanding drum into the drill press, and smooth it out.
    http://www.refined-home.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion savant, that is one way I'll consider. I should have stated before that the slot I'm looking to make will only be wide enough to handle a 5/16" bolt.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Comment

Make a template and a plunge router. But if your doing just one, make a guide on each side and cut to the curve, bore out the center, then very carefully finish the two ends by eye with the router. Any slight difference in the cut, sand it down to look good....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Dave

You can drill a 11/32 hole on each end using a drill press and then cut the slot on a scroll saw with a thin blade. I've done it with 9/32 holes for 1/4 screws. You just have to take your time and be careful but if you go easy it should come out very nice.

Comment

i like the router idea if you can make that work for you it should be the fastest and smoothest way of doing it i would think.
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

[QUOTE=BadgerDave;148712]How would you safely make this type of slot cut in a piece of wood?
              [QUOTE]

I'd drill an appropriately sized pilot hole, and then use the router table, with a stop block positioned to end your cut. Basically imagine a stopped dado cut, but with the bit raised higher, so you're cutting all the way through.

A 3/8" router bit should give you nice round ends, with only 1/16" of total play over your specified 5/16" bolt size. And you're virtually guaranteed a perfectly straight line cut.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...oductid=140796

Comment

To get it done quickly if looks are not at a premium, I would drill holes at the end and jig saw the line in between (clamping a guide board to it for the jig saw). Dress up edge with file or a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a putty knife blade.

If doing several, or for a smoother job, I would drill the ends and make a template for the plunge router with a 1/4 bit, taking about a 1/8 deep cut each time. I would drill for 5/16 unless a loose fit is desired. Adjusting the template can give you just a bit more slip space if needed and can be blended into the end hole with a bit of sandpaper wrapped around a 1/4 dowel or screwdriver shank.

If doing strictly by hand, bore end holes and chisel out the center, working from both sides to get a smooth surface cut.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

If its not to late , use it as a template and use a pattern bit 1 1/2" or 2" w/ top barring , mortice or make another template out of 1/4" ,1/2" mdf and use a shorter bit .

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions. I made some sample cuts on some scrap wood using a few of the methods suggested. Wood Junkie's method worked the best for me and produced the best results so I went that route. The scroll saw hints were good ones but my expertise with the scroll saw is very lacking of talent.

Comment

Whee!! Madison powa!

Glad to be of help.

Comment

Working...
                      X