X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Table saw alignment

Could anyone help me with aligning my blade to the miter slot? I'm pretty new to this stuff and after reading some posts i'm not sure i understand about the trunions and moving them. I used a ts aligner and when i get the slot and blade parallel to within .001, i go to tighten the bolts and the thing jumps out of alignment. If anyone could give me a more detailed description on this process than the pathetic manual i would appreciate it.

Re: TS3650 Table saw alignment

I don't know if this will help you or not but here's what I do. When tightening the trunion bolts I make three passes. The first pass I just snug up the bolts by hand using a 1:00, 7:00, 11:00, and 5:00 pattern. On the second pass I follow the same pattern using a wrench and tighten the bolts a little further. For the third pass I again use the wrench and fully tighten all the trunion bolts again using the same pattern. For me, this method works out and I've yet to experience the alignment shifting while tightening everything back up.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Hi,

Having the same problem - will try Badger's suggestion. I do have one more question though - how much do you loosen the bolts??

I have repeatedly been unable to get the back of my saw perfectly lined up with the front. It's as though I need to move the front more to the left (when looking AT front FROM rear). I can just get the 1/8" between the insert and blade the manual discusses.

No amount of grunting,pushing or hammering seems to get the front over far enough for me to use the lever at the back to get on either side of "0". I figured I should be able to move the back left or right of center but have not been able to get it perfectly lined up. I have my lever pushed all the way left and am still 0.008" off.

Help always appreciated - maybe someday I can actually give it to someone................

Comment

Try loosening the bolts more , then give it a tap.What to you use for alignment tools? Sometimes I have to "re-plunge" my dial indicator. In fact not to long ago I had the same problem you describe and I reset my indicator and I was golden.

Comment

I had the same problem with mine. After having the saw for over a year, I found that if I beveled the blade a tad (about 3 - 5 degrees), I was able to get the whole trunnion assy further to the right. However, it worked fine that first year at about 7/64ths. Get it straight even if you have less than the 1/8" on the left side of the insert. After tightening it down, then bevel the blade to the full 45 degrees. If the blade spins freely without hitting the insert, (the reason for the "1/8" clearance), you are good to go. If not, you will have to get the trunnion over to the right more.
          Because the arbor shoulder is to the left of the blade, changing the width of the blade will not be an issue with clearance in the future.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I was just about to post a similar issue when I saw this thread... so I'll add to it.

I'm noticing that, when ripping, the stock tends to angle to the left side of the table (ie, away from the fence) near the end of the cut.

I believe this is because the splitter is parallel, but not in line with the blade. Unfortunately, the adjustments don't actually allow me to get the two in line!

I have previously aligned the blade to the mitre slot as best as I could (I don't have a dial indicator (yet) but my framing square seems to show it as perfectly parallel)). There's a perfect 1/8" between the blade and the insert, but the splitter needs to go about a blades width to the right, but it can't.

Alternatively, the blade can be shifted to the left by about a blades width (how would I do this?).

What's the best way to acomplish this alignment?

Thanks,
            Jeff

--Jeff

Comment

use a set of blade stabalizers

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
                I was just about to post a similar issue when I saw this thread... so I'll add to it.

I'm noticing that, when ripping, the stock tends to angle to the left side of the table (ie, away from the fence) near the end of the cut.

I believe this is because the splitter is parallel, but not in line with the blade. Unfortunately, the adjustments don't actually allow me to get the two in line!

I have previously aligned the blade to the mitre slot as best as I could (I don't have a dial indicator (yet) but my framing square seems to show it as perfectly parallel)). There's a perfect 1/8" between the blade and the insert, but the splitter needs to go about a blades width to the right, but it can't.

Alternatively, the blade can be shifted to the left by about a blades width (how would I do this?).

What's the best way to acomplish this alignment?

Thanks,
                Jeff

--Jeff

Hi Jeff. You might be able to drill out the mounting holes in the splitter just enough to allow you to mount it a little further to the right. As I recall (it's been a while since I did my splitter), there's enough surface there to allow you to lengthen the holes where the bolts go. I think that'd probably be the best answer at this point. I don't see any possible way of moving the blade mount further away from the fence. Unfortunately, a stabilizer on the blade isn't going to help move it to the left at all. I hope this helps!
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

You can move the splitter to the right by loosening the allen screw on the round rod the splitter slides on and off of. With the splitter tightened on the rod, loosen the allen screw, adjust splitter behind blade, and retighten allen screw. (takes a #4 metric allen wrench, screw faces back towards motor)

Go
                  Last edited by Gofor; 02-03-2009, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Hi, I'm a newibe to this forum and just got my 3660 this weekend at HD for the 399, and what my question is does anyone know of where I can get a table saw aligner that is cheaper than the TS-Aligner? I am a machinist and just thought of machining a mini sled and I have a magnetic base with an indicator it reads down to .0005

Comment

You can make your own base, but realize the bar for the slot and the first layer of plate above the slot need to be non-magnetic. If not, the slide will lock in the slot when you turn on the magnet in the indicator base. Aluminum will work, but brass would be better if made of metal. Just put a steel top on it to hold the indicator.

Go

Comment

Working...
                      X