X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer question

Just got the Ridgid 6" jointer and am having operator problems. If I run a straight edge over knives to remove 1/16" it only removes material on first 1/3 of stock length. No, it was not bowed, this is trued edge, flat when rested on table saw table. 20" long, if I ran it through 100 times it would turn into a triangle! What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Richard

Re: Jointer question

You could be applying too much downward pressure on the infeed side of the knives. Once you have a few inches of stock pass the knives you should be applying all your downward pressure on the stock on the outfeed side of the knives.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

It could also be a setup issue. make sure the knives are exactly the same height as the outfeed table. Make sure that the infeed and outfeed tables are coplanar (set them at same height and check with straight edge

Comment

Sounds like a technique issue. Usually you end up with a triangular cut if you start putting too much pressure on the outfeed side at the very beginning of the pass. Start by putting pressure just before the knives on the infeed side. Once about 25% of the board has passed over the knives shift the pressure to the outfeed side just after the knives.

Comment

Never seen a feather board used on a jointer before. could I use 2? How much pressure is too much, don't want to flatten with bow, but cut to flat. Guess I'll cut up some scrap, mark parallel lines and practice. Seems like if I hold board flat to in feed and out feed equally it would cut evenly? Why the shift in pressure as cut progresses?

Comment

Also I checked for alignment with my 4' straight edge, with 0.0" on depth of cut both tables lined up just right end to end and when I rotated knifes they would only kiss the straight edge. Feel sure its operator error

Comment

if you put a straight edge across both tables are they flat or parallel, If not then you may have some real problems, some thing is missed milled or assembled,

normally if your having the problem your having, the rear table is to high in comparison to the cutter head, and as you cut and transfer over to the out feed table the board lifts off the in feed table making a taper you described,

http://www.northwestwoodworking.com/.../article1.html

the rear table should be at the exact same height as the cutter head, and all blades of the cutter head equal and flat with the out feed table,

if the out feed table is to low it leave a "snip" on the end of the board as it leaves the in-feed table,

If your blades are dull, you may not be able to tell much of any thing until there sharp or replaced, and set up right.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

"Taper occurs when the out feed table is higher than the arc of the knives. As the board becomes established on the out feed table, it begins to lift off the in feed table. The board tapers until it's no longer in contact with the cutter head."

You know I moved my tools around the shop recently and the jointer is not yet on rollers. It's very heavy, I remember pulling the base to move it but may have pulled on the out feed table some. I'll re check this as soon as I get home. Thanks a million!

Richard

Comment

It's refreshing to see somebody questioning their technique and asking for guidance instead of instantly blaming the tool and manufacturer.
                  ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by capehorn3 View Post
                    Seems like if I hold board flat to in feed and out feed equally it would cut evenly? Why the shift in pressure as cut progresses?
                    So did you ever figure out what was wrong?

I don't know exactly how to explain it but I went through a similar experience when I started using a jointer. I couldn't figure out why the boards would end up tapered towards one corner. Looked for a few tutorials which specifically mentioned that issue. I adjusted the technique and everything worked perfectly.

Comment

After much delay I'm back at this. Ran a 20" piece of 2X6 through and it only planed on the outside 1/2 of board. Rechecked knifes and table and the knifes are running high on outside, only checked one knife then came in to read up on best way to level knifes. With 4' metal straight edge on tables and depth of cut at 0.0" they are planer, level, square with each other to the best of my eyes with flashlight behind straight edge. Also looked at this triangular, looks good, so I'm on to knifes. I'll let you know. Why would knifes move, this thing was cutting nice?

Comment

Well, went to HD, no luck on knifes. Don't know why I asked sales person, I don't trust them to know where parts are, looked till I found planner knifes, no joiner knifes. As an aside went to Lowes, they had Delta joiner knifes! Have ordered from Amazon, also dial indicator.

Comment

New knifes fixed my problem. I ran some ....dirty wood over jointer and it left the blades shot in quick order. Used a dial caliper to set new knifes and with a good bit of fussing it now cuts as new. Thanks for all the suggestions. Now on to a new entertainment cabinet for my flat panel TV.

Comment

Working...
                          X