X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 on 240V?

Just wondering if anyone is running their TS3650 off of a 240V - 220V line to only use 6.5amps? If so how did you convert the wiring for the table saw?
    Is it just as simple as switching the wiring to the motor?
    And one last question-- is the 240V -220V line a 14-2 or 14-3 that you have?
    Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share their knowledge!

Re: TS 3650 on 240V?

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
    Just wondering if anyone is running their TS3650 off of a 240V - 220V line to only use 6.5amps? If so how did you convert the wiring for the table saw?
    I haven't done it, but there are some motor cables that need to change (described in the manual) and you'll need a new power cord. A 220v line for something like this only needs 14-2 (two hots and no neutral). You should mark the white wire as hot with a marker.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
      I haven't done it, but there are some motor cables that need to change (described in the manual) and you'll need a new power cord. A 220v line for something like this only needs 14-2 (two hots and no neutral). You should mark the white wire as hot with a marker.
      Thanks for the reply. I was just trying to check if there was anything in the table saw that still needed 110V, hence the 14-3. I will look further into the manual then.
      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
        As CPW stated, there isn't a requirement for a 3 conductor cord, but I've added a router table to my TS3650 and use a 3 conductor cord so I only need one plug in for the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by eggcrate View Post
          As CPW stated, there isn't a requirement for a 3 conductor cord, but I've added a router table to my TS3650 and use a 3 conductor cord so I only need one plug in for the unit.
          Thank you for the information. That is something to consider and keep in mind for future possibilities. I am looking to wire my workshop and just want to keep my options open at this time.

Comment

I switched my saw to run on 240V. It starts much quicker and just sounds like it has more power. Switching the wiring at the saw was easy. I wired a 240V plug and made a short 12 gauge pig tail for the saw cord to plug into. I have a tag on the saw plug stating "240 V". I'm the only one who uses this saw so there is no problem with someone else plugging it into a 120V plug.

Comment

I just switched my ts3650 to 240v, easy as pie, just follow the diagram on the motor, it's also in the manual. It tells you to cut the plug off and install a 240v plug, i got some yellow 14/3 and rewired it right to the on/ off switch, so there is no confusion that it's 240v, i use yellow 14/3 on all my 240v tools, makes it easier to identify,works for me. Also,the saw seems to run better with no blade speed fluctuation under heavy cutting.
              Last edited by 2yorkies; 09-28-2008, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marchboom View Post
                I switched my saw to run on 240V. It starts much quicker and just sounds like it has more power.
                I switched to 230V and the blade now gets up to speed insantly. There has been much discussion on this and other forums about power and electricity savings and, according to electrical engineers, switching to 230V does not provide additional power or electric savings.

Comment

Many people who are using their saw's wired for 120V are plugging them into outlets that may also be running lights or other outlets on the same circuit. So when they start to bog the saw down the voltage drop will take available power away from the saw and most likely trip the breaker or thermally overload the motor. Your best bet is to run a dedicated 15A 230V circuit for your saw. No more lights dimming or voltage drop stealing power from your saw. If you use your saw in different locations then I would suggest running a dedicated 20A 120V circuit for your saw so that when you need to bring it over to another locating you can just plug it in and go.

Millman

Comment

Working...
                  X