X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing Teak

How do you finish teak? I might use teak to match a bigger table for a project that I'm going to build next week. Never used it before. Do you just seal it?

Thanks for the heads up!
    -Hef

Re: Finishing Teak

I would take some scrap peices and experiment. I had fun doing this with my alder desk. First I spent a few hrs in the local book store reading some books and magazines on finishing. Then experimented. Teak is a beautiful wood. I bet an oil/varnish mix would really well. You can decide on the sheen from flat to full gloss and everything in between. How many coats of protection you want to add, and how to apply - e.g., wipe - brush etc. I'm really pleased with a wipe on Tung oil (100%) - varnish mix I'm using. If its for a surface that will be used for drinks etc, tung oil or a tung oil mix seems to be a good choice to keep water stains off.

Cheers Dennis

Comment

An oil finish would also be my choice but before you get to finishing you have to glue the pieces together. Before you glue and surfaces of teak together you need to remove the surface oil so the glue will stick. You can do this with denatured alcohol or naphtha gas (aka white gas)

Comment

Teak is usually left natural with just teak oil which is how it looks best. Since it's such tough durable wood thats really not much of a problem. It's a very greasy/oily wood so it doesn't take other finishes well. You might need some specialized products or techniques otherwise. High end danish furniture makers which traditionally use teak, use teak oil as the finish of preference.
        Last edited by Velosapien; 06-15-2008, 11:35 PM.

Comment

I re-finished a boat, the entire inside, and it was all teak. However, i used
          Spar, marine (for obvious reasons) varuthane
          , high gloss, and it was beautiful. Custom inlay table with checker board. I re-did the tile around the sink. re- upholstered everything. Then after all that work, we lost the boat. But it look good.
          So it all depends on what you want it to look like when it done. The wear and tear your going to putting on it.

Comment

Working...
          X