where to find low-friction plastic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to find low-friction plastic

Maybe I'm making this too hard, but after about an hour on google, I'm not finding what I'm looking for. I've made a sled for my 3650 Table Saw, but I find the runners I made, out of 3/4 oak, is very tight. I thought I can work through it and eventually it would loosen, but I think by the time it's starts getting looser, it may be time for a new sled. I tried shaving them just a little, but then I get small movement, which could mess up a good piece of wood, then I end up making new runners. Not as easy of a task of which I thought it would be.

I started do some research on how others have built their sled and someone had shown to be using low-friction plastic for the runners. WoW!, why didn't I think of that. So I started looking on-line for something I could use, but I'm coming up blank. Anyone have an idea or currently using low-friction plastic for runners?
    Chizl

Re: where to find low-friction plastic

UMHV or something like that. Try woodworkers supply or lee valley. They come in all sizes, even big enough for fence material.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I think what you're talking about is "UHMW" or Ultra High Molecular Weight plastics. Basically, they're slippery plastics. You can find them at Woodcraft and at Rockler, amongst other places. Places like ePlastics has it in lots of sizes and shapes.

A google search turns up lots of sources for it.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thank you both, perfect.. Exactly what I'm looking for.
        Chizl

Comment

Peachtree supply has it and have strips already cut to fit the miter slot.

Comment

you might wanna try out these too...

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3178

Comment

Nice, but exspensive.. $15 for one rail.
              Chizl

Comment

Originally posted by Chizl View Post
                Nice, but exspensive.. $15 for one rail.
                sure, but if you are using it for a sled, or some other jig that you are going to use repeatedly, its worth it. How much have you spent on oak rails and time to get it right, but still have it not work? even though you may be using scraps, they have an inherent cost.

Comment

Hi Chizl

I stocked up on UMHW at one of the woodworking shows. There is one scheduled for Dallas December 5 - 7

Go to http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com
                  to see a schedule.

A lot of the stores mentioned in previous posts are at these shows with "show specials". They are also a good place to network and see manufactures demos.

Bill

Comment

Does anyone know of any retail stores that sell this? Would a home center carry something like this or would they look at me like I'm stupid for asking? I have a Woodcraft near me, but they always are so expensive.

Comment

You can use one of those plastic blocks that are for driving T&G floor up tight. I have seen them at
                      Lowes on sale for $9 for a piece that was about 3/4" x 3" x 12".

That's way high for just a piece of UHMW plastic, but it is a source if you have no other and factor in shipping from a mail order place.

I have wondered if some of those high density plastic cutting boards could be used. They are about 1/2" thick in the larger sizes and you get a lot of material for a few bucks.

Anyone tried using one or know why it wouldn't work?
                      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

UHMW polyethylene is a good material for this. I also like to use it for sacrificial fence on the tablesaw. If you can't find it or can't wait for mail order, another really good choice (maybe even better) is Delrin. It's an easy-to-machine (router, saw, etc) plastic that is often used in industry to make plastic shaft bushings, small gears and other parts that need to be self-lubricating. You can tap it and it will hold a machine screw pretty well. Delrin is actually a brand name, the generic type is called "acetal copolymer". There's various harnesses.... a medium grade would be fine. Try TAP Plastics, Port Plastics or check the phone book for plastic suppliers.

Another good choice is "Nylon 6".

Lexan - a brand name for polycarbonate plastic, is a pretty tough plastic but has poor chemical resistance. I like to wipe stuff off with lacquer thinner, MEK, acetone, other nasty chems, and Lexan won't do well.

I like the plastic cutting board idea.... I think that stuff is actually UHMW poly, if I'm thinking about the same thing.

Plastics have all gotten really expensive. Also, I should mention that UHMW poly and Delrin don't glue worth a darn, even with epoxy. Nylon 6 is better... but not much.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

-Andy

Comment

Lee vally carries UMHW and its not to expensive
                          http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...455,43831&ap=1

Comment

Working...
                          X