X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've read so much about this arbour ts3650

1. Does the arbour affect the overall performance of the saw?
    2. Can you use another dado, so this won't happen.
    3. Other than the arbour, how does the saw perform.
    4. When you use the frued dado, does it ruin the job you are working on.
    5. Is the saw worth the money. ( I can get it at HD for 719.00 cdn )
    6. I like the fence on the saw.

Only a newbie.

from the reviews that ive read online and in various other sources it seems like its a great saw. If you dont plan on cutting Dados then you wouldnt have to worry about changing the arbor.

I've only used my saw twice since setting it up on the weekend so from personal experience I cant really speak about the performance.

BTW where in Canada are they selling it for 719?
    The cheapest I've seen it is $799 and that what I paid for it. So I would say go for it if you are handy and can change the arbor yourself or prior to set up take the saw to a repair centre and have them repair it

Hopefully this helps!

Comment

At home depot, if you get a credit card, you get it for 799.00 less 10% = 719.00. I will get the credit card, charge the saw, put it in the truck, then go back in and psy for it.

Can you use another dado on the saw?

Comment

Reboot! your sneeky LOL! but I also did that when I bought my new BBQ. I should have figured that out.....

SC suggested a Wobble dado blade could be used but from experience I havent had much success with the wobble.. I perfer stacked dados...

Comment

Can you use this dado - SD206 - on the ts3650 saw. Does it have the same problem as the freud dado?

Only a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by Reboot:
            1. Does the arbour affect the overall performance of the saw?
            2. Can you use another dado, so this won't happen.
            3. Other than the arbour, how does the saw perform.
            4. When you use the frued dado, does it ruin the job you are working on.
            5. Is the saw worth the money. ( I can get it at HD for 719.00 cdn )
            6. I like the fence on the saw.
            1. No, it only affects dado cuts and ΒΌ" wide dados seem to be the biggest problem.
            2. Some have suggested using wobble dado baldes but don't waste your money on one.
            3. Most reviews have been very positive.
            4. No, but you may have to clean up the cut a little with a chisel. FWIW, the manufacturer of the dado set is not an issue.
            5. In my opinion, dollar for dollar, it's one of the best buys when it comes to Contractor Saws.
            6. Me too.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Will get one tomorrow.

TKS for the help everyone. I appreciate it.

Comment

As for the ? you had with the use of another dado you may want to look into the Freud Ajustable dado system it is not a wobble!!
                It utalizes the use of several blades and to get bigger cuts you twists an asmble and spreads the blades apart. Check it b/c the dip in the arbor will not affect it at all.

The performance on this saw is awesome for the prize you'll be happy when you buy it.

Comment

OrangemanDane,

The Freud adjustble dado set will not work on any of the RIDGID saws. It also may not work on some other makes of saws but I don't know that for sure. The overall length of the arbors, be it one of the troublesome ones or one of the trouble free ones, is too short to accept that Freud set.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Badger Dave is right about the Freud adustable.

As to other dado issues, you won't get a flat bottom on cuts above 1/4" and also agree on the wobble dado---junk.

As to other saws---well, not all the reviews are positive and the 3650 seems to have had it's share of problems. I'd certainly look at General and Griz'.
                    Dave

Comment

Okay well,

Just so's the whole truth about the 3650 arbor length is out here, I just stacked the 8" Freud Super Dado set (29/32" without shims) on the new replacement arbor. The OEM nut goes on fine for about 3 and a half turns - or roughly 75% of all the way through the nut. Which might be safe enough but you're on your own going beyond 13/16 since that is the max stated in the 3650 manual. By rights we ought to be able to get the washer on there too and still have the nut fully threaded.

The danged Freud weighs approx. 14 gazillion pounds so it would be easier on the motor startup if that washer could be on there to spread the initial torque a little.

I still think somebody in Ridgid Emerson purchasing messed up or forgave a miscommunication in specs or a bad machining run and probably got a break on the cost of the originally supplied arbors.

It just needs to be said, that if you plan to buy a dado set based on maximun width of cut - for say major volume wide-rabbetting chores, you're not going to "legally" use or have supported, the use of chippers beyond 13/16". You'll always have one chipper in the box and would always build your way back up to Ridgid's documented max 13/16" with shims.

I'm probably the worst for standing on principle about stuff (aka, anal), but this goes out to anyone who similarly wants to be uncompromising about quality and value.

Some smoothie screwed up somewhere in the process of spec-ing this part. I just don't see what it could have hurt to cut these arbors another 3/16" longer.

I mean they got this close to a perfect value and then didn't check to see what was out on the dado market? No. We do not accept Master Mechanic quality.

Couple this issue with the arbor groove issue and it just seems to me this part had to have been farmed out to an outfit that gave them a bottom dollar bid worse than bargain basement. And now they move to correct the groove problem and don't tackle the arbor's length issue at the same time??

Bottom line, according to the 3650 manual, which covers their tails legally, you're arbor is 3/32" too short to use all the chippers on your best quality 29/32" max cut dado set.

Which is about the only undeniably amateurish thing about the 3650.

So close (to "professional"), and yet so far away....

As someone else said in another thread, this is what happens when bean counters drive the better intented product line.

Comment

You can use either of those Freud sets on the 3650 just fine.

You just can't fit all the chipppers of a Freud set on the 3650 arbor at the same time. You'll always have at least one chpper in the box.

Misleading to infer that the Freuds would not be able to reach the 3650's max limit of 13/16".

Could be that some parties on this site do not want you to get on board with pushing for longer arbors for the 3650.

The arbor length was definitely an embarassing maunfacturing oversight on this otherwise great saw.

The Freuds are peerless. Don't let the 3650 limitation steer you in another direction. Instead stay tuned and support those of us who are trying to get the companies to issue professional length replacement arbors.

Comment

It should also be noted for the benefit of newbies that the new arbor replacements that are currently being talked about, do not correct the arbor length issue.

The companies (Ridgid and parents) corrected a machining error which caused a groove near the shoulder of the thread about 1/8" out from the flange.

The current replacement arbors do not correct the shortness of the arbor which prohibits your being able to safely use all of the chippers of a professional grade dado set.

Comment

Working...
                          X