X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP1300 Roller Cleaning

I just bought my first Ridgid Tool..the TP1300. I am impressed so far. I have up until till now been the rabid Delta/Jet/Dewalt user. Even though I am a wood-working Newbie I am trying to go for quality tools. Having never used a planer until recently I am wondering what is the safest/easiest way to clean the rollers/blade? I ran some pine through to try it out and now it looks pretty gummed up.

I am also looking at purchasing the Ridgid Jointer but am a little hesitant...not because of Ridgid quality...but because of safety. I read the the posts about the missing fingers and I'm just a little paranoid so any advice is greatly appreciated.

By the way Jake I've been reading the forum for about 3 weeks now and your responsiveness to peoples questions as well as Ridgid's quality is what is driving me to buy more Ridgid Tools.

Wood-butcher,

First off, welcome!!!!!

I think you saw a post by Dave A. concerning the finger thing. His point was that if you walk into your shop one day and decide to cut off a finger or two, use the TS vs. the jointer as it makes a clean cut thereby allowing for possible re-attachment..... or something like that.

Seriously, if Dave A. makes a point, its a good idea to listen and learn.

In terms of safety, IMHO, any tool that you respect and understand (assuming it is in proper operating condition) will be safe to operate. The tool you think will not hurt you is the most dangerous tool you own. Common sense goes a long way in the shop. The truth is, anything in the shop can seriously harm you. They all have that potential. Some would argue that ripping on a RAS is one of the most inherently risky things you can do but plenty of people do so safely, with proper precautions. If you are comfortable with power tools in general and understand how to manage the risks, I wouldn't avoid the jointer any more than any other tool. Again, just take the time to understand the operation and use good judgement and proper precautions like eye protection and push blocks. I also like to use feather boards.

Good luck!
    Wood Dog (with all ten fingers and all ten toes)

We already had a Wood Dog and a Wood dawg. Now we have a Wood Butcher and a Wood-butcher!!!!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] How are we going to keep everybody straight??????????????

Welcome again Wood-butcher!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well -butcher (thats how I'll keep them straight),

Thanks for the compliments and I hope you keep coming back.

As far as the jointer goes. Its not a machine to be afraid of, but as Wood Dog pointed out all machines need to be respected.

Jake

Comment

Jointers are easy to get along with. There are only two actions that come to mind that are seemingly sane but actually dangerous.

1) Too small piece. Even using a push pad, a small piece is just dangerous. It can tip down into the cutter, or just kick back nearly instantly.

2) Pushing over the cutterhead. Jointers can kick their workpiece back, just like tablesaws are imfamous for. It happens less often, but happens. When that does happen, it is far faster than anyone guesses. If you are pushing down over the cutterhead, it will seem as though the stock simply disappeared as you hit the cutters.

I tend to speak (and write) directly and bluntly about safety. This is deliberate. One of my hobbies is helping out selling at a woodworking store, and I run into far too many people who have an "it won't happen to me" attitude about safety and machines. All too often, it does happen to them.

I have worked wood with various tools seemingly all my life. The most serious injury I've even done to myself required wearing a Band-Aid for about four days. There is no reason anyone else should be any different. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

Thanks for all the info on Jointer safety.

I did not notice there was already a Woodbutcher so I'll just go to my real name so as not to confuse anyone.

Comment

Dave A, you wrote "2) Pushing over the cutterhead."

Obviously you need to push the piece through the cutter head. Do you mean pushing down on the piece? Please clarify as I am also considering the planer and have never used one.

Best regards,

Henry

Comment

Henry,

I'm certainly not trying to answer for Dave but I have used a jointer a number of years without damanging myself. The idea is "similar" to using a shaper or dado on the ts. You need to keep the piece down on the table and against the fence. In doing so, you do NOT want to apply down pressure with your push pad directly over the cutters. As the piece tails off, I pick it up on the outfeed side with a second push pad. I have also found that using both vertical and horizontal featherboards help keep a consistent pressure on the work piece and keeps me further away from the cutters. Again though, the hold downs are NOT arranged directly over the cutters.

Those knives are turning really fast and IF you experience kick back, that work piece will get away before you ever see it. Pushing down on the work piece directly over the cutters, in addition to encouraging kick back, will place whatever is contacting the work piece at risk. Before you can react, the push pad (hopefully that's all) will drive right into the cutters.

As with the ts, a consistent feed rate is good. Also, a minimal amout of trim is better. Usually, thats not an issue with edge jointing but in can be if you are rabbeting.

Wood Dog

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Wood Dog ]

Comment

Working...
              X