X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make pattern for undermount sink cutout

Hi, I have a clients sink that I need to cutout for in a 1.75 thick walnut top.Its an undermount sink thats square but curved sides. There is no template or paperwork for sure.I understand sometimes the template is the box itself but no such luck.
    The edge is 1.5 wide, the client wants about a 1/4 reveal. I can obviously turn it upside down and trace the outside pattern, but then how do I bring that pattern in 1.25 inches and be exact in the shape?

One thing I was thinking about doing is going to a print shop and ask if they know hot to shrink it down 1.25 inches. I can alos got to a C&C machine and have ot done that way (I dont really have the time flexibility to go this route).

Im going to drill a hole so I can get my 5 inch jig saw blade in there and cut it proud and then finish it with a trim router bit that has a top bearing.

The template is the problem.
    Sink is made by de la frontera it looks like pounded copper, its pretty small about 15x15.

Re: How to make pattern for undermount sink cutout

trace the outside, compass 1.25 in ?

Comment

The manufacturer's web site has an online form you can submit with questions, why not ask them?

http://www.delafrontera.com/request.html

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

turn up side down and draw around it, then (I would do this on a heavy paper), and then take a compass like suggested or a rule, and measure in to the desired amount and mark the spot do this many times around the edge and then basically connect the dots, smooth out any inconsistencies and re-cut and use that,

or to do better yet IMO use a router and make the template out of Masonite or plywood and use a router and guide on the template, (the router template would need to be Minus the guide collar), this way you can sand the template to get the desired cut out.

you may want to rough it out with the jig saw first, tho so your not having to cut bunches of wood with the router, take off small amounts so you do not burn the wood with the router bit,

you may want to practice first on a mock up in the shop to figure out what does work best for you, that nearly 2" of wood will be a good one to do a good job on,

What is the sealing plan to keep the wood in shape?
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
          trace the outside, compass 1.25 in ?
          Its not round, I cant just set the compass and go.

Comment

set the compass to 1.25, follow the outer

Comment

I measure the sink and use a carpenters square for straightness, then insert a 3/8" line inside the outer one and round out my corners. Drill hole and jigsaw out. Be sure to have support under the cut out piece or it could be costly for you. 2"x4" on top of saw horses usually does the trick.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Nothing is straight on the sink.A compass wont work due to the edge being different widths as it curves around corners etc.
                I talked to client and I think what I may do is, lay sink upside down. Trace it on the inside through drain hole on thick paper, cut it out an fine tune it to fit 1/4 inch in. Then trace that on a mdf pattern and cut it out and sand to perfection.

Comment

Thanks for trying to help. What worked was:
                  Flipping sink upside down, putting hand in drain and tracing onto paper rim. Then cutting paper out. Putting cut out over the top now I taped it down, Grabbed a pencil and with my set a depth with my finger an pencil of 1/4 inch and retraced now I had an almost exact replica. I cut it out, put it on mdf, cut it out and then sanded it an filed it.
                  Then used jig saw 1/8 proud on walnut island.Then put template in and used flush trim router bit with top bearing.
                  Heres pics.Click image for larger version

Name:	ccc7acf071efb958862a7452fdec2313.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	3579

Click image for larger version

Name:	bd059ebd3cad42bc136e87349b2caa85.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	3580

Comment

this is what was being suggested with the compass, to us it as a spacer. for keeping the line as a given distance,

glad you got it done, looks nice, it is a beautiful counter top what are there plans on protecting the wood?

since you could reach in the drain that would be the best way, but most bath sinks I would not get my hand in the drain, for some reason I had a bath room vanity in mind
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BHD; 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I realized a simple and accurate way to do it, now that I get your drift. Envision a triangle, equilateral, axis 1.25, two points have studs, one a marker. Outer template traced from sink, cut sanded smooth. Then the device.

Comment

I put a coat of Good Stuff made by the Maple Butcher Block Company on it. Told them to put two more coats on it after kitchen was ready. Then thye have genral maintenace when it gets dull again. Good stuff smells exactly like Bartleys Gel Varnish and looks like it too.

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        this is what was being suggested with the compass, to us it as a spacer. for keeping the line as a given distance,

glad you got it done, looks nice, it is a beautiful counter top what are there plans on protecting the wood?

since you could reach in the drain that would be the best way, but most bath sinks I would not get my hand in the drain, for some reason I had a bath room vanity in mind

Comment

Working...
                        X