X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction and TS question.

Hello, I ran across this forum an few days ago, and decided to sign up and see what I could learn. First of all, let me say that there seems to be a wealth of information on this board and that everybody seems to be very friendly and helpful. Also, even though Ridgid sponsors the board, everything that I've seen so far has been very objective. This is a very welcom sign.

Now to my question. I'm getting ready to buy a table saw in the next month or so for home/hobby use. I've read everything that I can find here and other places, and agree in principle with the advice to buy a contractors saw over a portable if at all feasible. However, in my case, it's not feasable. My storage space is very limited, and I"ll have to do all of my work in my carport. With that in mind, I'm really looking hard at the TS2400LS. Here's my question. The display model at my local HD seems to be a little bit wobbly on the rear legs. Is this something that can be tightened up, or is it something that I'll have to learn to live with?
    De Colores,
    Dow
    Boerne, TX

Dow---welcome. While I'm not that familiar with that particular saw, I would say HD doesn't do a very good job of assemblying their tools---whatever you do, don't pay extra to have them assemble anything . I would say you'd be just fine with the stand and if not, there are always ways to stiffen up a stand.
    Dave

Comment

Displays in HD are usually in poor shape. Most of the play can be aliminated. Being a portable saw there will always be some play in the leg stand do its nature and design to be portable. It is the best i have found for portability and features. Great fence and excepts the same accesories as its big brother.

Comment

Confession: I'm not at all familiar with that saw.

Question: Is there anything keeping one from using the supplied stand just long enough to build a nice roll-around cabinet for it, stout as you wanna be?

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave.

Well, in my case, it's a matter of what will and won't work. My utility/laundry/tool storage room is up a step from the level of the carport, and there isn't room to manipulate a four wheel cart or cabinet. However, I believe that the Work-N-Haul cart/stand will just fit by the dryer in the folded position. If I had the room and didn't have to wrestle with the step, I'd get the TS3612, but it's just not possible in this case. Not too practical to lift a contractor's saw up a step AND turn to get around a dryer at the same time, lol.

(edited to hopefully add clarity)

[ 03-03-2003, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: dow ]
          De Colores,
          Dow
          Boerne, TX

Comment

Son of a gun. Good thing I put in that disclaimer about not knowing anything about the saw, huh? I had no idea that it folded up smaller than the saw itself, that's pretty cool.

You can count on the one at the Big Orange Box to have been assembled indifferently. I fought on-line battles for a long time about the TS2424 fence not locking tight for the same reason.

Hopefully, someone who has one will meander on by and see the post.

Dave

Comment

Yeah, the way it folds up is what interested me from the start. With everything folded and locked, it's kind of like wheeling around a wide dolly (I've been told that's pronounced "hand cart" for some folks, lol).
              De Colores,
              Dow
              Boerne, TX

Comment

Dow
                Haven't seen the table saw you mentioned.

I'd still suggest you by the Ridgid contractor's saw. I bought mine about 4 years ago and it was the best investment I ever made. I used a sears bench top saw for about 8 years and it was a constant struggle because the top was so small.

A friend of mine is a carport woodworker also so he took his Ridgid contractor's saw and removed the stand then built a cabinet for the base and a top that goes over the saw. When closed up it looks like a small storage box.

Daveferg is being way too kind about HD and their displays. I was in the one closest to me the other day and a guy was looking at the contractor's saw and commented on what a piece of junk it was. I told him the saw was GREAT but HD doesn't know how to set things up. With them getting more competitetion from Lowe's maybe they'll get their act together again.

JimD.
                SA Texas
                By my hand As best I can.

Comment

Dow, sorry to hear about your tight space situation, doesn't sound like you've got much of a choice. So this advice may be useless to you, but I want to offer it anyway in case it helps someone else: in agreement with Dave Arbuckle, I think you'd be ok to get a portable, or for that matter a contractors saw and build a rolling cabinet around it. There is a book that was put out by Popular Woodworking magazine called "25 Essential Projects for Your Workshop", (available @ BarnesandNoble.com for $22.99) that includes just such a cabinet. They call it "The Little Shop That Could" and it's pretty smart. It's aimed at beginning or budget woodworker's but would be o.k. for anyone. It includes tool storage, a router mounting table, an extra wide infeed table, a fold down outfeed table and it's built around a portable table saw. It can be mounted on big casters for easy mobility (even over small lips or steps). Check this book out! Even if it doesn't work for you it may inspire you with some other creative approaches to your space dilema. Good luck!

Comment

I have one and love it! stands up when not in use, plenty of power, inovative design.

Get It.
                    Use It.
                    You'll love it.

Ken

Comment

There is a little play in the stand when setup and when you set it up the first time, you'll think it will make a difference in your cut stability, but that's not the case...you'll forget about it as soon as the blade cuts the first time.
                      Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Thanks to everybody for all of the great advice on this saw. It looks like I'm going to go ahead and bite either this weekend or next week.
                        De Colores,
                        Dow
                        Boerne, TX

Comment

Working...
                        X