Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Binding on the 3650 when tilting.

Originally posted by Woodshop Rookie View Post
    my "routine maintenance" consisted of blowing it out with a compressor every once in a while. I'd like to do better in maintaining this one.
    Change your maintenance schedule from "every once in a while" to "on a regular basis". Seriously, it really depends on how much you use your TS and how much buildup you accumulate. I try and do a thorough clean up of the underside of my saw at least a couple of times a year. I'll also take an air hose and blow some air around through the throat plate on a more regular basis.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Well, I'll be danged. So that's how i got that little buckle in the base, just below the bevel crank. I noticed it a while ago, but figured how it happened. I thought maybe I had caught a stone under a wheel or one of the leg pads had caught a high spot when I was rolling the saw on the herculift. But now that you mention the bevel thing, i do remember having a hard time getting it to bevel a while back. Of course, I didn't crank on it all that hard - once I felt more than appropriate resistance, I reached under the saw and pulled on the trunion to help it move. Seems like I never did get it to go a full 45, but at the time I didn't need it that far anyway.

I've never felt like the 90 degree stop was very solid (seems like you can always crank it a bit more), so once I get it to a perfect 90 I pretty much just leave it there. I guess I've worked around never beveling the blade. Sad, but true.

Jim

Comment

I try and do a thorough clean up of the underside of my saw at least a couple of times a year. I'll also take an air hose and blow some air around through the throat plate on a more regular basis.
        Sounds like I am on the right track then. Thanks Dave!

Scott

Comment

I had the same problem. Returned to the service center.
          They changed the trunions, the motor cradle, the tilting shaft and the flenge of the tilting shaft (attached to the tilting wheel on the right).

The reason for this to happen is when I alligned the table saw. The motor cradle mad of cast iron shew up part of the channel from the aluminium rear trunion. The dent in the chanel was bad enough to block the tilt ar around 35 degrees. Forcing it had a result of bending the cabinet and wearing the ball in the flange.

Hapily, all replacement have been done under warranty.

This is a good saw but alligning the blade is at your own risk.

Comment

I recently squared my blade to the miter slots by adjusting the six trunnion bolts. That worked okay but now the blade will only tilt to about 35 degrees. The bevel lock is loose. Everything seems clean enough. The 45 degree stop isn't in the way. There's a section on page 44 of the OPERATORS MANUAL "TO ADJUST THE BEVEL ADJUSTING HANDWHEEL." It says to "tighten or loosen" a couple screws behind the handwheel to adjust the bearing retainer. They seemed tight so I loosened them until they were sloppy but the wheel still gets too hard to turn at 35 degrees.

I just posted the above to a new thread, found this one, and went back to the shop to see if my case is bent. Sure enough, it is! Did I do that?! Now I'm wondering if I can shim up the hand wheel hardware, pound the case back in, reinforce it, or otherwise fix this thing myself. I don't know how to go about hauling it to a service center, but my warranty is probably no good anyway. I have the receipt but I threw away the box it came in and didn't register the life time warranty when I bought it.

The case is available from Gardner for $65 but I'm not sure that would fix it. I put a Quick Grip clamp across the bottom and pulled the (slight) bend out of the case but that didn't solve it. So I'm not sure a case would solve it either.

Any advice from others who have had and solved this problem would be appreciated.

BTW: I've had the saw for a year and half and liked it so much I've since filled my shop with Ridgid power tools: planer, drill press, belt/spindle sander, router, portable drill, even a shop vac. This is the first time I've been stumped with a Ridgid tool.

-Howard
            Last edited by howardreplogle; 07-16-2009, 08:56 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

i have a ridgid ts2412 and was experiencing the same difficulty getting the blade to bevel to 45*. it would get there, but it required a bit of careful coaxing of the cradle assembly to ease it into the full bevel position. tonight, i checked those two screws behind the bevel handwheel and the top one was pretty tight. so i loosened the two screws, slightly loosened the 1/4-20 X 1-1/2 screw at the rear trunion (see page 53, figure 2, key no. 10 in this manual http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/C67D3E5...le_Saw_Man.pdf) and sprayed just a little wd-40 in the trunnion channels that the cradle mounts slide in and the whole thing moves smoothly from 90* stop to 45* stop. on the 3650, see page 18, figure i, key no.1 in this manual http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/FD9D936...3650_402_r.pdf. if the case is being stressed to the point where it flexes, check the bevel lock handle. sometimes, even when loosened, as the cradle swings from 90 to 45, the bevel locking handle can wedge in an upright position under the table and act as a stop preventing the cradle from moving towards its 45* position. hth.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                if the case is being stressed to the point where it flexes, check the bevel lock handle....
                I at first thought the bevel lock handle would only swing 180 degrees, but after being alerted by an earlier post on this thread, saw that it has a clever spring mechanism which allows it to disengage and swing around indefinitely. Mine is now so loose it's almost unscrewed from the cradle assembly.

The case isn't tweaked that bad so I suppose I'll loosen everything up again and try to find out what's really limiting that bevel motion. And maybe what bent the case (me?) If the case needs shoring up, it would be easier to bolt on a piece of angle iron than replace the case or haul the saw to a service center.

It sure seems like a strange design to rely so heavily on the rigidity (no pun intended) of a sheet metal case for such an adjustment. Then again, I don't fully understand the mechanism yet.

-Howard

PS: I like that Her-cue-lift but it sure is uncomfortable to lay on.

Comment

I just spent the morning on this but I now understand the problem and have a work-around:

Once I loosened the trunnions, the blade tilted easily. I think that in the process of aligning the blade with the miter slots, even though I followed the instructions, I inadvertently got the trunnions out of parallel. So when the saw was tilted, the trunnions bound up. When I leaned on the adjustment wheel (my mistake) the weakest component was the case so it bent slightly.

The solution is to adjust the blade angle but only tighten the center bolts on the trunnion. Then tilt the blade all the way to 45 degrees and back before tightening the four remaining trunnion bolts. Recheck the blade alignment at vertical and re-verify that the blade will still tilt to 45. I went through that a few times before I got it just right but now it works fine and I didn't replace any parts or haul it to a service center.

It helped a lot to have a digital angle gauge. I think mine is made by Wixley. The 45 and 90 degree stops on the saw are too soft to be useful and the protractor is now about half a degree off. There is an adjustment slot on the protractor but it moves perpendicular to the way it needs to go. (?) I'll probably drill an oversize hole in the protractor so I can at least have a rough bevel angle index.

I think this saw is out of production now so changes to the manual and the design are now moot. But owners should keep in mind that if they want to align the blade to the miter slots, they need to keep the bevel adjustment from binding in the process. The method is iterative so that may be the reason it never made it to the manual.

Comment

The solution is to adjust the blade angle but only tighten the center bolts on the trunnion. Then tilt the blade all the way to 45 degrees and back before tightening the four remaining trunnion bolts. Recheck the blade alignment at vertical and re-verify that the blade will still tilt to 45. I went through that a few times before I got it just right but now it works fine and I didn't replace any parts or haul it to a service center.
                    just curious, what device did you use to measure blade parallelism with miter slot?
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

same thing happened to me a few years ago. i don't think i released the bevel lock enough, the iron is soft, so i was able to chip out the shaving and then smoothed the channel with a dremel and metal grinding bit. after that it works well. never try to force anything, those cranks can do a number on the trunion assembly.

you need to let the bevel lock get real loose (finger loose) before you bevel or it can dig in on the rear trunion.

Comment

Working...
                      X