Binding on the 3650 when tilting.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binding on the 3650 when tilting.

So, I went to make a bevel cut on my TS3650 and it started to bind on me when I turned the adjustment wheel. I assumed it was because there was sawdust on the threads. I blew off the dust and greased it up, but it was still binding. I got it to the 20 degree bevel I needed and made my cuts (a bit of force was required to get it there). Afterwards I was checking things out under the table trying to figure out what was causing the bind and it turns out that I shaved some metal off the rear U shaped channel that the trunion rides in. I'm not sure how this happened and I'm trying to figure out a remedy to fix it. I'll probably go through the steps of squaring the blade to the mitre slot and see if it got out of alignment somehow and hope that I didn't damage things too badly.

Any ideas to what may have caused this would be appreciated.

-=gos=-

Re: Binding on the 3650 when tilting.

DId you fully loosen the bevel lock (located under the front of the table)? The handle will push in to allow you to rotate the position so it doesn't jam against the table. However, just a quarter turn is not enough. On mine, I found I have to loosen it about 1 1/2 full turns (after I loosen it with the handle, I push it in and just spin the rod with my finger tips), or else it starts to tighten and bind when I get to full bevel.
    Clean out any shavings and fair out the rough edges before trying to run it again.

Hope this helps

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
      DId you fully loosen the bevel lock (located under the front of the table)? The handle will push in to allow you to rotate the position so it doesn't jam against the table. However, just a quarter turn is not enough. On mine, I found I have to loosen it about 1 1/2 full turns (after I loosen it with the handle, I push it in and just spin the rod with my finger tips), or else it starts to tighten and bind when I get to full bevel.
      Clean out any shavings and fair out the rough edges before trying to run it again.

Hope this helps

Go
      Oh yeah, I must have almost unscrewed the bevel lock. I got all the shavings out and I'm going to try the realignment.

Comment

Have you noticed that the case buckles as you reach true 0 or 45 degrees? Watch closely for this. The reinforcement on the inside of the case is inadequate.

Comment

This happened to me, couldnt bevel the blade past 10-15 degrees. Hard to explain but I was following a method of adjusting the blade from a book on table saws. If you think it had something to do with the alignment process I can go into more details.

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
            This happened to me, couldn't bevel the blade past 10-15 degrees. Hard to explain but I was following a method of adjusting the blade from a book on table saws. If you think it had something to do with the alignment process I can go into more details.
            pez , I did the same thing followed the manual to a --T .and made sure that it was 1/8" min. from the throat plate as instructed rotaded the blade tooth frount to back , perfict with sq. went to bevel to 45 . and stoped , looked and saw metal shavings on the trunion . put every thing back the way it was and smooth sailing. but im 19/1000th "---.019 out on the rear/back of the saw . i thought of reseting it and letting it make it on grove. the shavings are about 4/1000th"---.004 . any help you can give Thanks

Comment

Well, I went and done it, I ended up buckeling the side panel of my saw where the angle wheel is and I'm a bit peeved. I tried realigning everything per the manual, but the trunion kept binding when I tilted the blade no matter what I did. I contacted the customer support through the eBox and got a canned response about taking it to an authorized blah blah blah.. I just want a new side panel, I can put it on myself! I'm NOT going to take a 300 pound saw to a service center.

Be careful if you get any resistance tilting the blade on you TS3650/3660, the sides are very flimsy. Good news (not really) is that it doesn't bind anymore (the trunion had shaved enough off to get to 45 degrees).

I think it's going on Craigslist and I'm in the market for a cabinet saw/

-=gos=-

Comment

kenwho - my saw got pretty messed up so I took it apart and returned it for a new one. Luckily I was still in the 90 day return/refund period. Otherwise I would have had to take it to a service center.

Comment

Originally posted by Backtalk View Post
                  Have you noticed that the case buckles as you reach true 0 or 45 degrees? Watch closely for this. The reinforcement on the inside of the case is inadequate.

I am having SERIOUS problems with this. They want me to take the saw almost 40 miles away to a service center for repair. Are they going to fix the poor design or just replace it and if so, has anyone had any success reinforcing this fault???

Comment

At least I'm not the only one!

I crushed the side of my cabinet pretty good. I to got no help from Ridgid. There was NO WAY I was going to be able to take my saw to a service center. After adding my Benchdog cast router extention, I would need a fork lift to get the saw into my truck. I tried to get customer service to just send a new base and I'd have been happy. But I couldn't even get a returned phone call.

I finally took care of the problem myself. THANKS FOR NOTHING, RIDGID!

The part number for the base is TH1003, cost is $49.13, shipping $13.00.
                    Call Gardner Inc. 800-848-8946.

Comment

i havent had a problem with this. but to show you how dumb i was or really just in a rush, when i first got my saw i tried to bevel it with the zci in it. i kinda hated to post this but it may someday save someone from doing something this dumb.

Comment

This happened to me a few years ago with my 3650.

I think it had something to do with the way the acme thread/shaft attaches to the right side of the saw's cabinet. I loosened the screws down there, turned the wheel a few times (with a little more force than usual) and it started working fine again. I also put a little lubrication in the "U-shaped" channel that you referred to. Once that little bit of metal gets shaved away, it seems to work fine. I haven't had a problem since.

I seem to recall the problem started when I tried to align the blade with the miter slots (using the little trunion lever at the back). There wasn't enough play in the trunion assembly for me to get the blade parallel with the miter slot even with all the trunion bolts loosened, which is when I loosened the screws where the shaft attaches to the cabinet. Once I did that, I was able to align the blade. However, that's also when the "binding" started and I couldn't tilt the blade to 45-degrees and started seeing the shavings.

Don't take the saw anywhere, just play with things a little and add some lubrication. Once the metal shavings disappear, the saw will work fine.

Jason

Originally posted by goslin23 View Post
                        So, I went to make a bevel cut on my TS3650 and it started to bind on me when I turned the adjustment wheel. I assumed it was because there was sawdust on the threads. I blew off the dust and greased it up, but it was still binding. I got it to the 20 degree bevel I needed and made my cuts (a bit of force was required to get it there). Afterwards I was checking things out under the table trying to figure out what was causing the bind and it turns out that I shaved some metal off the rear U shaped channel that the trunion rides in. I'm not sure how this happened and I'm trying to figure out a remedy to fix it. I'll probably go through the steps of squaring the blade to the mitre slot and see if it got out of alignment somehow and hope that I didn't damage things too badly.

Any ideas to what may have caused this would be appreciated.

-=gos=-
                        Last edited by Toolfreak; 10-19-2008, 07:13 AM.
                        - Toolfreak

Comment

I'm new here and the owner of a new 3660. I know the 3650 and 3660 are very similar in design, so I think I already know the answer, but I will ask the question anyway...

Does this same issue/potential issue exist on the 3660?

Thanks!

Scott

Comment

The only difference between the 3660 and the 3650 is a structural design difference in the legs. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same saw so any issue/potential issue would exist in both. In actuality, I don't think an issue/potential issue exists in either of these models. A table saw is a tool that requires routine maintenance. If you clean the trunion on a regular basis you'll not have any issues with it at all.
                            ================================================== ====
                            All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Thanks, Dave. Please excuse my newbieness, but what exactly do you mean by cleaning the trunion? Also, in trying to establish a regular basis, what sort of build up should I be on the look out for?

My previous tablesaw was Craftsman benchtop, and my "routine maintenance" consisted of blowing it out with a compressor every once in a while. I'd like to do better in maintaining this one.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X