X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the TS2410LS

I'm thinking of buying the TS2410LS at HD soon. I wish I could get a deal on the thing, but I have a pergola project I need to get done for my backyard before my new baby arrives! So here is the pergola I'm going to build:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...16.html?page=1

In the tutorial, they say to make cuts into the 2x6 beams with a dado blade. So here's a couple questions:

1. After looking at the tutorial, do I really need a dado set?
    2. If I should get a dado set, can I just go to Harbor Freight or some other cheaper place to buy the blades and plate insert? If so, what are the correct specs on the blade and insert I should be looking for.

Thanks for your help and I hope I can get this project done!

ghost

Re: Question about the TS2410LS

Originally posted by ghost View Post
    I'm thinking of buying the TS2410LS at HD soon. I wish I could get a deal on the thing, but I have a pergola project I need to get done for my backyard before my new baby arrives! So here is the pergola I'm going to build:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...16.html?page=1

In the tutorial, they say to make cuts into the 2x6 beams with a dado blade. So here's a couple questions:

1. After looking at the tutorial, do I really need a dado set?
    2. If I should get a dado set, can I just go to Harbor Freight or some other cheaper place to buy the blades and plate insert? If so, what are the correct specs on the blade and insert I should be looking for.

Thanks for your help and I hope I can get this project done!

ghost
    You can use your regular blade, you'll just need to nibble out a little bit of wood each time. I personally wouldn't want to use a table saw for this, because the post is so long and would not feel that it has adequate support. I would try using a circular saw instead

Comment

For that kind of cut, I think cpw has the right answer. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable with that cut with a circular saw because, as cpw said, there's too much beam for the table saw table. Not that I'd say don't get the saw, it'd still be handy to have.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I like the jigsaw alternative better. Drill a pilot hole large enough to accept the jigsaw blade and you could make that cut in a fraction of the time it would take using a circular saw.

You could also clamp the boards together and use a router to cut all the dado's at the same time. It's hard to tell from the picture how deep the dado's are but if they are too deep then this option might not be viable. Multiple passes with the router would be the best way to get to the required depth.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I was also thinking about the jigsaw idea. The cut I'll need to make is about 2" deep into the beam. I don't have a router or table saw, but I do have a jigsaw, chop saw, and circular saw. I just want to make sure I get this project done right. The TS is a big purchase, so I'm just wondering if I need to really buy it now or not.

Comment

I would mark out the first slat then clamp all five together and transfer the marks from the first one. Set the skill saw to 2" and cut all the marked lines leaving the middle alone. Separate the slats then remove the waste in between the saw cuts with a hammer, one blow and it will break cleanly away, any minor cleanup can be done with a chisel.
            Try it on a scrap 2X4, if you need to remove more than 1.5" wide just make 2 cuts and then remove the waste with a hammer. Please note this only works with the grain.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              You can use your regular blade, you'll just need to nibble out a little bit of wood each time. I personally wouldn't want to use a table saw for this, because the post is so long and would not feel that it has adequate support. I would try using a circular saw instead
              Could I just support the other end of the beam with a sawhorse?

Comment

You won't be able to get a 2" deep dado with anything less than an 8" dado set, and you will have to make multiple cuts to get the width. That would get tiresome really quick with a lot of long boards.
                A 7 1/4" circular saw will get down to about 2 1/4+ so that would work. I would clamp all the boards together and make the outside cuts for the dadoes with a circular saw using a straight edge for a guide. I would clean up the bottom with a chisel, although you could also use a jig saw. For that type of construction, you want a square & flat bottom in the dado to get a good fit as well as to provide good support to the cross pieces. IF you are unfamiliar with chisel work, use the jig saw.

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Hey, you're not building furniture here. Prop the end up on a saw horse, and use the circular saw. Make a couple of passes and smack the chips with a hammer. Then use a chisel on the bottom of the trough. It doesn't have to be dead on for a backyard pergola. I've done it this way for lap joints on 4x4s plenty of times.

Comment

Working...
                  X