Lacquer thinner and a hot car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacquer thinner and a hot car

Went to Frazee today to pick up six gallons of lacquer and a five of thinner. Put them in the back of my truck, with camper shell, and came home. Backed into the carport far enough to keep the cans in the shade. Problem was the inside temp of the camper passed 140! I opened the camper to find this. Fortunetly, it did not blow, but came very close. Notice the creases and chipped paint and the big bulge on the bottom. Not good.

mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: Lacquer thinner and a hot car

looks like it was close to causing a problem, there, glad it do not rip the tin and rupture I have never had it bulge a can like that,

have had two lacquer fires tho, not a good idea either, one was on a fan that was covered and the coils got hot and it smoldered on the lacquer and saw dust that had collected, the smoke detector went off and was wired to the house so I was able to get stopped before damage occurred.

and the other one is funny,

I had some old cans of lacquer in a old shed, (I was not impressed with the brand) and I had a skunk in the yard and it went under this building and so I shot it, with the shot gun, it died right in the middle of the building, but when I shot it one stray (through a hole in the siding) BB hit the can of lacquer and started to run out on the floor and then drip through the floor, and I thought for a min and thought I will jsut shoot it again and roll it out where I can retrieve it, so I did, and the muzzle blast set the lacquer on fire, I said no problem I will jsut turn on the garden hose and put it out, WRONG, water will not extinguish the lacquer fire, but the water keep the wood wet and keep the lacquer above on the floor form catching fire, I yelled at my wife to bring the fire extinguisher, and it put the fire out, but if your ever shooting skunks remove the lacquer from the area,

Glad it was not worst for you.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yikes, that was close. I would have thought the spout would have popped before the metal deformed that much

Comment

Thank goodness that can held together. I'll bet it was made in America!
        Jim

Comment

but if your ever shooting skunks remove the lacquer from the area
          I would have never gotten that as the moral of that story.....LOL

Comment

Yep you were dang lucky, that was a close call thanks for sharing and hopefully other people will see this and realize just what can happen when transporting flammable products. I've had similar incidents in the past, also lost a buddy torching off the top of a drum thats been sitting around for a very long long time. Was not a pretty site for his wife to find and hear, I'm sure it will take many years for the image to fade to some degree. Meaning even when a container is empty, it is still very dangerous....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

this one should be in the safety forum.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

its very fantastic post ..i have appreciate this..Thank goodness that can held together. I'll bet it was made in America
                metal canopies | carports | metal carports

Comment

Working...
                X