X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3612 vs. TS2412

I'm most likely going to return my Ryobi for the Ridgid. The more I play with the Ryobi, the more I think I'd like a slightly larger and heavier table saw after all.

I've seen a lot of posts comparing the 3612 vs the old 2424, but not against the cheaper 2412.

A few notable differences that I can tell:

-2412 costs about $175 less
    -2412 has stamped steel wings (which I prefer over the iron grate wings, I'd rather have a solid work area)
    -2412 seems slightly smaller
    -3612 has a built in mobile base

Anything else? Are the fences different, motor, etc.?

Thanks.

The basic guts of the saw are the same.

Both have 1 1/2 hp motors

The TS3612 contains these features which the TS2412 lacks:

Herc-U-Lift Castors
    Micro-Adjust Trunnion
    Cast Iron Extensions
    36" of Right Rip Capacity (vs 24")
    New, Improved fence system.
    Fence Micro-Adjust
    40 Tooth Blade (Vs 28 Tooth)

Jake

Comment

Both have 1 1/2 hp motors

Jake, they were distinctly different motors on TS2412 vs. TS2424. Has this changed? (IOW, does the TS3612 have the TS2412 motor, or the TS2424 motor?)

Dave

Comment

Scott---will advise the same as before---get the 3612. You wanted to try the Ryobi--great, but again, I think may be talking yourself into something.

Steel wings can distort and deflect---have even heard of some leaving marks on wood. My cast iron wings are as rock solid as the day I installed them.

Features like the micro-adjust trunion and micro-adjust fence, may not seem important now---but just wait!

Honestly, if money is the issue---take back the Ryobi and wait until you can swing the 3612, or, check out the 10% off tool trade-in and see if it applies to the 3612. You will be much happier with it. You'd have to admit, some of us were right about the Ryobi
        Dave

Comment

10% of $600 is $60....take that out of the $175 difference and now you're down to $115 more for a much better saw. You'll appreciate the extra weight when it comes to the smoothness of the saw. Go for the 3612 or the 2424. Not that the 2412 isn't a good saw, but the others are a whole lot better!
          Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

I wasn't aware of all the other differences, beyond the wings. Thanks.

Comment

What is the big issue with the web extensions on the Ridgid saws not being solid? I like the fact that you have spaces that you can put a clamp thru. It also cuts down on the weight? As far as structure most of the material in a solid piece does not add to the strength. Look at an I-beam. The web is for shear and the top and base are for bending. That is also the theory behind trusses.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Arbuckle:
                [QB]Both have 1 1/2 hp motors

Jake, they were distinctly different motors on TS2412 vs. TS2424. Has this changed? (IOW, does the TS3612 have the TS2412 motor, or the TS2424 motor?)/QB]
                Oops, I forgot to mention the TS3612 has a dual voltage motor vs the single voltage motor on the TS2412.

The TS3612 has the same motor as the TS2424

Jake

[ 10-23-2002, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: JSchnarre ]

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Jake. If I recall correctly, that also means the TS3612's motor is a full bearing design, instead of a part bearing/part bushing design.

Dave

Comment

That is correct...

Comment

Ok,

I have added the herculift to my TS2412 and the hooks for the fence and miter. I don't have room for the 36/12 fence right now, but sometime next year I will have a full fledged workshop vs. the basement workshop I have now. I like my saw and I do not forsee replacing it then. So here is the magic question. Is the retrofit fence that is offered the same as the fence on the 3612 or is it the same style as the 2412 but longer? Or at that point would I be better served to buy an aftermarket fence system like bies or incra?

Comment

The retrofit kit rails are similar to the rails on your TS2412, just longer.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                        X