• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you attach this unit to wall

Name:  6c5ebe23f182542fe709f5bde8d4585b.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  41.7 KB

Its 113 long by 18 deep by 26 tall walnut plywood unit with center hardwood wine rack built with slats. One shelve behind each door, divider between each door. the top will be 1.25 thick walnut I havent figured out plywood yet so im not sure of wieght , Id guess 350lbs plus weight of china and goods inside.

Its going to float on wall 8" off of floor.The wall is bowed, french cleats wont work unless I shimmed them.
    The back may have to be scribed to wall so there may be a 3/4 wide hollow behind unit. Of course I can block it off where attachemnts need to be made. As well as sides may need to be scribed thus again creating the dead space behind back.

Should I use a 3/4 back and lag bolt/ cabinet fastner into studs? Should I just use 1/4 ply and use nailer strips notched into dividers and butt jointed and nailed into ends? Both sides of cabinet are exposed.
    A false bottom that allows me to have some steel brackets made to hold it underneath (shaped like a flat L )? I dont know if any steel can withstand the depth of it though an not tear out wall or flex.

Will any of these work? I suppose if uppers can be help up with nailer strip and screws, lag bolts or heavy duty long panheads screws will work well in this application?
    Im aware the unit could be stronger than the wall itself, I hope this sint pushing the limits.It is quite long so I will get quite a few fasteners into wall. Hopefully almost every 16 inches.

I think walnut hardwood weighs about 3.25 lbs per bd ft. Top maybe only 62lbs. I think wine rack will weigh about the same. Theres no face frame.

Someone on another forum suggested a false bottom with a 2x4 ledger underneath it tucked up on the underside , so it sits on it , so the shearing power is down and not out which was a good idea.Then fasten it with some grex screws or deck screws etc. in the back of cabinet.

Im not so much worried about fastening it to wall as much as Im worried about it pulling the back off cabinet or away from wall ?
    Any suggestions on attaching back to the cabinet? Maybe side screw holes countersunk filled with walnut plugs? Then the back sits in a 3/4 wide rabbett in the sides (back is 3/4 thick).

Re: How would you attach this unit to wall

ledger on bottom, lags on top? 2 x 12 backing the entire length at top, lags, L brackets? Feels like going with ledger.

Comment

French cleats would be my first choice, too bad the wall is so bowed.
      I agree with the ledger at the bottom but I would make it out of a cut off from the top 1.25" by 1" would be plenty and would look professional. I think a full 3/4" back would be overkill and add to the weight factor. I would use 1/4" and nailer strips at the top. I would make the nailer strips out of 3/4" ply 3" wide and fasten the strips together to make an 'L' shape. If you are veneering the sides after assembly then I would cut the side and dividers so the nailers are flush with the top and back, if not but the nailers at the sides and cut them into the dividers. Use glue at all joints and connections. Use #12 X 3" wood screws at every stud

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
        French cleats would be my first choice, too bad the wall is so bowed.
        I agree with the ledger at the bottom but I would make it out of a cut off from the top 1.25" by 1" would be plenty and would look professional. I think a full 3/4" back would be overkill and add to the weight factor. I would use 1/4" and nailer strips at the top. I would make the nailer strips out of 3/4" ply 3" wide and fasten the strips together to make an 'L' shape. If you are veneering the sides after assembly then I would cut the side and dividers so the nailers are flush with the top and back, if not but the nailers at the sides and cut them into the dividers. Use glue at all joints and connections. Use #12 X 3" wood screws at every stud

So L shape meaning the nailer is on the back at top and the other part of L sits in the top of unit which then the top sits on, like a long stretcher.
        I would think with a 3/4 back it woukd create a much larger and stronger surface bond on the end rabbetts and the center dividers. One of my big concerns is the back ripping off the cab. Maybe the L shaped nailer strip will help prevent that?

Comment

Originally posted by Woodywoodchuck View Post
          So L shape meaning the nailer is on the back at top and the other part of L sits in the top of unit which then the top sits on, like a long stretcher.
          exactly

Originally posted by Woody woodchuck View Post
          I would think with a 3/4 back it woukd create a much larger and stronger surface bond on the end rabbetts and the center dividers. One of my big concerns is the back ripping off the cab. Maybe the L shaped nailer strip will help prevent that?
          I may seem like it would be stronger but I guarantee that if the L shaped 6" of contact rips off a full back will too. You could add gussets at all the corners where the 'L' meets the sides and dividers to add strength and glue surface

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
            exactly

I may seem like it would be stronger but I guarantee that if the L shaped 6" of contact rips off a full back will too. You could add gussets at all the corners where the 'L' meets the sides and dividers to add strength and glue surface
            Gusset is essentailly a corner block?

Comment

yep, could be a simple as a chunk of 2X4 but you will have plenty of walnut scraps to use

Comment

Working...
              X