Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointing off paint?

Hi,
    I'm a new member , soooooooon to pick up my new TS3650..
    I have a thought of lifting up my deck boards, removing the nails, and was wondering if anyone has ever jointed very lightly off the remaining stain,which was a solid stain and has faded badly.. ( My Question, )Would this be hard on my blades? Have to replace several of the boards on a 18x20 size deck..and rather then sand all the rest, I was gona run them through and not worry if their all cleaned up, just smooth them a little.
    Any feedback would be helpful.
    Thx.. Ric...
    Last edited by Rics; 07-01-2008, 03:32 PM. Reason: It's solid stain, not paint..

Re: Jointing off paint?

Your title says "paint" but then you mention "stain" in the body of the message. If your deck is painted then I wouldn't run the boards over your jointer.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

paint and any bodied coating will do a number on the blades in (my guess) in a few feet, and dull jointers knives are hard to use even to take paint or stain off, with as the board will bounce and burn on the knives and not cut well.

I would think maybe renting a floor sander and sand them out with a reasonable coarse paper, may work. or Porter Cable has a paint remover that uses carbide steel disks, that when clogged you soak in a solvent, (paint thinner, lacquer thinner etc) to remove the paint and use again, (it was designed for use with siding and soffits) but it may work as well),

I would think with some heavy duty sanding equipment it would be better than the jointer,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Hi Rics, welcome to the forums! Good question, too. I'd be reluctant to use my jointer on paint. Knives are hard to come by, and sharpening is a pain. As BHD said, the paint or a thick stain will cause the knives to dull quickly and the result would be a lot of burnt wood and some jointer knives that have to be replaced.

I think the sander idea is the best. If you can find someone with a drum sander, that could work well to get the majority off. Sometimes you can find a local shop that does woodwork that'll let you run your boards through for a fee. If you were in the Winchester, VA area I'd tell ya to just stop by! If you can't find a drum sander, a belt sander would do the trick. Use some highly abrasive paper and get lots of it. Or, use the Porter Cable thing that BHD mentions.

Let us know which way you go, and definitely post some pics!!
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thx. Guys
          I wasen't to keen on using the jointer if it was gona do any dulling of the blades..
          Great idea to use a heavy duty sander, our local Home depot rents them for around $25 a day, A couple of belts, course ones will fit the bill ...
          Bin reading on this fourm for a while and had to join..
          Some very good ideas and lots of no how here..
          Thx. again ...Ric

Comment

Working...
          X