X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 Router Table Extensions

I've got a few questions. First off, I am new to woodworking and just got my 3650 yesterday. I've had a router and because of my limited shop space would like to put a table in the right end of the saw. Not removing the wing, but adding it to the right of the wing. Problem is, I only have 15" of course or so on the back rail.

1) Can I add a smaller table in this area and still use my saw's fence? This seems like a good idea.

2) Should I look into longer rails, if they are even available.

3) Links, links, links. If you have something that you've bought and like it, send me links to where you bought it please.

Thank You!!
    Derrick

dlathem

I am in the same boat. I just bought my table a week ago. What I have noticed is that there are no screw holes on the ends of the tables, thus you would be relying on the rails to support the weight of the table, router, and any accessories and stock as you run it across. That seems like a lot to ask of those rails without some kind of support.

What I am planning on doing when I get a bit more experiance is to build a cabinet for my saw to sit on and when doing so, I will add a table that sits in between the rails for my router table. I will make it close enough for the rails to bolt onto but the rails will not carry any of the weight.

Well, it's a nice idea anyway. My wife says to me last night in that nagging kinda way, "Your buying all these tools, when are you going to actually build something".

Comment

I also just recently purchased a 3650, and I love the saw, but I would like a router table also.

I did some surfing, and found a great one from Bench Dog. It's a model RT 250. Priced on the high side, IMO, $299.00 but looks like a great setup. Woodworkers Supply has them, but I found them for $259.00 from Tyler Tool Co. I don't remember the web address, but I'll try to find and post. This one replaces one of the wings.

I'd like to actually see one to get an idea if I could make my own.

Post if you find any others.

Comment

I also just recently purchased a 3650, and I love the saw, but I would like a router table also.

I did some surfing, and found a great one from Bench Dog. It's a model RT 250. Priced on the high side, IMO, $299.00 but looks like a great setup. Woodworkers Supply has them, but I found them for $259.00 from Tyler Tool Co. I don't remember the web address, but I'll try to find and post. This one replaces one of the wings.

I'd like to actually see one to get an idea if I could make my own.

Post if you find any others.

Comment

As luck would have it, I finally got around to looking at a new MLCS catalog last night, and I think I found what you've been looking for. Here's the web link to it:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../routabl2.html

It looks like you don't have to take off a wing to install. Another good thing is MLCS has free shipping!!

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Comment

You might also consider the Mule Router Table extension for your TS3650.

http://www.mulecab.com/products.asp?...ucts=3&x=9&y=1

You can get the Freud SH5 fence system from Amazon for $99, and through other sources too I'm sure. Mule used to offer the SH5 fence but don't any more, they have a new version of their fence that does not attach to the TS fence.

Here's a earlier thread on the same subject showing the Mule table mounted on a TS2424.

http://www.ridgid.com/cgi-bin/ultima...c;f=7;t=000375

[ 02-01-2004, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

Originally posted by m00n:
              What I have noticed is that there are no screw holes on the ends of the tables, thus you would be relying on the rails to support the weight of the table, router, and any accessories and stock as you run it across.
              Keep in mind that you can buy a metal drill bit and drill a few holes in the cast iron wing. That will give you lots of added strength.

Marcus

Comment

I would highly recommend the Mule router table extension. It's installed on my TS2412 and it's great!
                murph

Comment

Careful adding to the wing area. Some routers themselves have a fair amount of weight plus the weight of the table you install. Then add working weight and downward pressure as you feed material through it cold lead to tipping the saw. Added support legs may help. Personally I took a router table and mounted it to 3/4" plywood with a couple hanger holes that I use to hang it on the wall when not in use. I now have a dedicated router table....I like that best of all.

Comment

I have the 3650 and have wanted to add a router extension since I set up the saw. I was in Sears last week and found an aluminum router extension on clearance for $70. This extension is discussed in other threads with regard to the 3612, but not the 3650. Tonight, I finished installing this extension on the 3650. It fits perfectly between the rails on the right side of the table without having to remove a wing. The only modification was to drill two holes in the side of the 3650 table to allow added support. I didn't want it to rest only on the rails. I also had to get some bolts that would fit the 3650 rails and to make the connection between the table and the extension.

The plastic fence on this extension is pretty crappy. The miter gauge is even worse. However, the aluminum extension is completely flush and effectively extends the table by another 17 inches. I intend to get a better fence or make one. Overall, compared to the price of other extensions, this one is a great deal, even at the regular price ($109). As for any added weight, it seems fairly insignificant. The saw is no less sturdy than before I attached the router.

Comment

Thanks for posting the info about the Sears table extension. Sounds like a great bargain at $70.00. I also just added a router table wing and ran into needing a fence. David Marks on DIY TV's show "Woodworks" just uses a peice of ply or MDF on the back of his table-saw's fence. I made something similar with a few modifications. Specifics: For the table, I cut MDF and braced it on bottom with a biscuit joined frame that got bolted to the aluminum rails of the table-saw. To avoid drilling and tapping the cast-iron wing, I used c-clamps underneath to hold the router-table to the 3650's wing. I used the Rosseau phenolic router plate insert to mount the router to the table. I really meant the MDF extension table as a prototype to be replaced with something more rigid (excuse the pun) like formica covered MDF or phenolic coated plywood. However, the prototype is working just fine so I'll probably just put on some sealer and leave it. Weight does not seem to be a problem. For the fence, I built an auxilliary (easily removeable) fence that attaches to the back of the 3650's fence. It just slides on the fence's channels with square-headed bolts. The fence is made from 2 pieces of 1.5 x 1.5 L-shaped aluminum epoxied together to form a U-shaped channel. (The Aluminum U-shaped piece is there to provide offset for large panel raising bits so that they won't damage the 3650's fence. Though not planned that way, it also makes a nice channel for dust collection). The business end has two pieces of 1/2in thick phenolic plywood that are routed so that they can each slide to make room for various size router bits. That peice is topped with a 24" Incra miter slot ($10 at Woodcraft) so that stops and feather-boards can be easily positioned.

Comment

I've been eyeing these extensions. My only hesitation is the construction. MDF with melamine surfaces? A woodened support?

How long is this thing going to last? My shop isn't conditioned and it gets pretty humid. If I understand if correctly, MDF doesn't do well with moisture. Add a laminate to prevent it from ever drying and you may have trouble.

Does anyone have experience with this type of construction and it's resistance to abuse and moisture?

Comment

I have the freud router table that is MDF between melamine skins. I sealed the exposed MDF edges with varathane and it has been in my garage since XMAS 2002. No signs of dimentional change

Comment

I was pretty ambivalent about using MDF at first too. But in some previous threads in this forum folks suggested it was very dimensionally stable even with changes in temperature and ambient humidity so I started using it here and there for some projects that didn't need to be pretty. So far so good as long as good bracing and joinery is used. I found that it is really sensative to water contact though. Even latex paints, primers or non-exterior glues make it swell along the edges. However swelling and dimensional change haven't been a problem when I've used exterior grade wood glues (e.g., Titebond II) and sealed the whole peice with an oil based finish (Watco) or primer (e.g., Zinser or Kilz). There is a good article on primers and sealing in this month's "Fine Homebuilding" magazine that covers MDF.

Comment

Working...
                            X