X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made a wide drum sander!!

I have been working on a drum sander for a while. Well, today I finally finished it. It took a bit longer because I had to do new electrical wiring in my basement shop just to be able to run it. You can see some pictures of how it progressed at the following link:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...TjeHYY?start=0

It has a 2HP farm duty motor and a 150lb/in conveyor motor. The maximum width I can sand is more than 28.5". Below you can see some pictures of it:

Attachment Attachment

The next picture shows the main motor and the elevation mechanism. I initially had connected the handle directly to one of the screws but changed the plan because: 1) it was heavy to move it up/down 2) it wouldn't allow for fine adjustments. Now every full turn of the handle will raise/lower the table by 1/32".

Attachment

The following picture shows the drum and pressure roller bars (after I removed the dust-hood cover). The roller bars are 5/8" thick solid bars with a
    vinyl/plastic tubing over them for friction.

Attachment

more pics in the next post...
    Attached Files

Re: I made a wide drum sander!!

Wow!! Very nicely done. Thanks for posting.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

more pics

Attachment

There are 3 switches and a nub for controlling the belt speed. The left switch
      turns on the main motor and can turn the conveyor too if the middle switch is in ON position. The other switch will turn the conveyor directly.

Attachment Attachment

In the following link you can see two movies showing the sander in action.
      First one shows the elevation mechanism. The second one shows how a piece of board is sanded.
      Sorry about the quality. I had to hold the camera with one hand all the time.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video...03474875BxfVqF
      http://good-times.webshots.com/video...03474875zVoHBU

The following two pictures show the thickness of the board I just sanded on it's two sides:

Attachment Attachment

Can't be more accurate than this!
      I am VERY happy with the end result. It was a very fun project and worth it.
      Attached Files

Comment

nice job. impressive accuracy

Comment

Very impressive, way to go..........
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Dude! Excellent job.

Comment

Re: more pics

That is really cool and displays great ingenuity.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the kind words.

Comment

Looks like a great tool - good work! Any chance of getting a copy of your plans?

Chris Tully

Comment

Very impressive workmanship and design!

Thanks for showing us this,

CWS

Comment

Thanks all.

Unfortunately I don't have any plans written, everything was in my mind only
                      Actually, I just noticed I have never built anything from any plan; always my own designs. But I'd be happy to answer any questions that you might have (if the pictures of the progress aren't clear enough).

Comment

Thank you very much!

You did a wonderful job on it!
                        Have FUN! Joe ... www.woodworkstuff.net ..... My Small Gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showg...0&ppuser=1389/

Comment

Thats excellent!! I've been working on something similar but yours put mine to shame How about some insight on the table mechanism, pressure bars, how you rolled the sanding paper on the drum,where'd u get the conveyor paper, how do adjust tracking ..... and just about every thing else....please! Heavy duty machine at a fraction of the retail price..thats excellent!

DAN

Comment

Working...
                          X