X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood pick up bed

I am restoring a 55 Chevy one ton stake body. I am trying to figure out what would be best for the bed. Some say southern yellow pine, some say oak. I made rail sides using oak last year, finished them with spar varnish. The weather really got to them. Any ideas?

Re: wood pick up bed

What type of oak (white, red, live)? Red or black oaks will not hold up as well as other types.

Teak or mahogany other such wood, thought expensive will probably last much longer.

http://www.globalteak.net/
    Last edited by Bob D.; 07-05-2008, 12:37 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I am not an expert, but my barn beams and fences are made of locust... Over 70 years old
      and it is still hard driving nails in this wood !
      I also did sleep at a Holiday Express one time..

Got any Locust Wood at any lumber yards in your area?
      Tough stuff, really good for outdoor use.
      I will warn that you must predrill .....its hard stuff!
      but will out last just about any wood outside or for that matter
      buried in the ground.

Two types of Locust trees are found on the East Coast: Black and Honey Locust. The Black is the more common in the Northeast; the Honey Locust in the South. Very hard, beautiful golden color grain. Used in boat building, fence posts, railroad ties, and poles.

Below as finished for flooring.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...8dtglfl&tt=663
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Davet; 07-05-2008, 02:13 PM.

Comment

my 1978 truck southern pine bed was rotting in less than 10 years, I replaced it with treated green lumber. and it has been good now for 10 years or so, (in the in-term I was patching it),
        my 1953 truck has a oak bed (I do not know if it red or white),in it and has spent it time out side now for 55 years and is jsut now starting to get bad, still no patches tho,

Locust probly would be a great wood as well, if one could find it.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Around here White Oak is the only thing the loggers and farmers would consider using for truck and trailer beds.
          Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Out here in Arizona, we see a lot of Oak or Ash. Long term moisture is not a big issue due to the heat and lack of humidity.

Mark

Comment

For a restoration, white oak would be the correct choice. The capillaries in white oak are not continuous like in red or black oak, so it lasts much longer, and is a stronger wood. I believe it is also the original type wood used for woody type vehicles.
              Any clear finish will go away quickly due to UV deterioration from the sunlight. Beings it is a vehicle that will also probably get washed/waxed occasionally, I would use a good quality oil finish (ie General Finishes Outdoor oil, etc). Reapply occasionally, just like you would wax and Armorall on a modern vehicle. (when water soaks into the wood, its time to re-apply). A hard finish like poly or varnish will be harder, but will break down and start to peel, making it a harder job to refinish.
              To clean up any mildew, etc, I have found Lysol sanitizing wipes work very well on oiled wood finishes. I use them on my wooden rocking chairs on my deck.

Locust may be hard to find in a size large enough to make clean boards. Another choice would be Ipe, Very heavy and hard to work with tho.

JMTCW

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

You should be able to pick up a kit for that truck. There are several vendors out there that sell the wood and hardware that was original for your pickup.

Comment

Working...
                X