X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone worked with wood from palm trees

Just curious if anyone has any experience working with palm wood? I have read it has a high silica content and dulls blades quickly. Any experience or info you have would be much appreciated.

Cheers Dennis

Re: Has anyone worked with wood from palm trees

Hello my British Cousin,

I have used tongue-and-groove palm wood for a floor installation. While it is relatively inexpensive, it warps like a screw. As I recall, about 20% of the stock was un-usable for the project. Overall, I thought the look was great but a pain to install. Hope this helps.

Zeno
    “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Hello my British Cousin,

I have used tongue-and-groove palm wood for a floor installation. While it is relatively inexpensive, it warps like a screw. As I recall, about 20% of the stock was un-usable for the project. Overall, I thought the look was great but a pain to install. Hope this helps.

Zeno
      “Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world.” —Thomas Carlyle

Comment

I have turned a couple pens from palm. It turns well with sharp tools at a high speed, but has this nasty habit if too much materal is trying to be removed to explode, it is a grass after all. With thin cuts I was able to turn them without too many "tram lines".

Comment

here in sofla the palms a way too fiborous to do anything with!

m

Comment

Here in Arizona, we have thousands of palms. All we hope for is a lightning strike and they burn to the ground! LOL
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Working...
            X