X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torsion Box Assembly Table

I started on my Tbox assembly table yesterday. I got the top constructed and am ready to start the base in a few days when I get some time off from work.
    I'm building a modified version of The Wood Whisperer's project he built in podcast episodes 18 & 19. His plans call for a 4' x 6' but due to space limitations I'm building a 4' sq with a 12" flip down shelf on one it. The shelf will be the bridge between the assembly table and my TS so I can use it as an outfeed table. The top was constructed using 1/2" MDF for the top, bottom and interior components and the perimeter parts are 3/4" MDF.
    Attached Files
    sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Re: Torsion Box Assembly Table

Thanks for posting, Harley. This looks like a great project. Did you dado in the cross members or is everything edge-glued?

I need to review the Wood Whisperer podcasts. Great link. Thanks!!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks for posting the work-in-progress pics. It will be fun to see the entire table completed. Having a nice flat and relatively light outfeed/assembly table must be a real help. It looks like you used jointed and leveled 2x4s as a temp base and then built it on top of that?

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        Thanks for posting, Harley. This looks like a great project. Did you dado in the cross members or is everything edge-glued?

I need to review the Wood Whisperer podcasts. Great link. Thanks!!
        Everything is edge glued. I used the offset method so I could nail each one in place rather than the toenail method Marc used.

cpw: Yes, I jointed the 2x4's first and then ran them through the thickness planner so that they were all the same dimension. First I had leveled the sawhorses using shims. I used hot glue to keep the shims and sawhorse legs from shifting in case of an accidental bump. After adding the 2x's I again checked to be sure everything was level in all directions. Only had to shim up one 2x a tad.

Comment

And a FINE lookin' BBQ set up TOO!

Comment

Originally posted by ChefHDAN View Post
            And a FINE lookin' BBQ set up TOO!
            Thanks,
            I had the smoker custom built down in Houston back in 99. David Klose designed and built it. He has built the world's largest smoker (think tanker truck) and the smallest (think power by toothpicks cut in thirds).
            There have been a lot of hog, beef and chicken sacrificed to the Norse Gods on it.

Comment

Working...
            X