No announcement yet.

buying table saw - what should I buy?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying table saw - what should I buy?

I am in the market for a tablesaw and have been impressed with the design several saws that I have seen/read about. The saws under consideration are:

Ridgid TS2400
    Ridgid TS2424
    Roybi BT3100

I am a woodworking hobbiest - though I used to be a general contractor, I don't think I will be returning to that line of work. I plan to use the saw for cabinetry projects around my home and perhaps for friends/family - working on location (occasionally). I don't expect that this saw will not see heavy or regular daily or weekly use (unless my wife comes up with more projects for me). Rigth now the projects on my slate are window seats, book cases and entertainment centers. Pretty basic stuff. Down the road, I might want to build some furniture.

I would like a saw that can handle sheets of 3/4 plywood, hardwood stock up to 2", and that cuts accurately.

Since I have limited space in my basement I will need to move the saw from the basement to the garage/outside.

I like what I have read about the 2424 but given the weight and my need for mobility I think that I must rule that out.

Assuming this is the case, that leaves me with the 2400 and the ryobi bt3100. I have visited the ryobi site and read much about their product - much written by ryobi enthusiasts. I do not intend to fall in love with my table saw (as some ryobi users apparently have) and don't anticipate tricking it out and spending lots of time fawning over it - I just want it to work when needed, I want it to stay accurate and I want it to be easy to handle and store.

I understand that the perspectives received from members of user groups may carry an inherent bias - what I need is some good advice from people that are familiar with the features and functionality of these products - good, bad and ugly.

I appreciate any advice that might be forthcoming.

I have actually owned all thre of these saws, and all have been very good. I first had the Ryobi, which was stolen from a jobsite years ago, then bought a 2400. It is a very good saw, but I opt to upgrade to the T2424 as it was better able to handle larger stock. It is not as portable as the 2400 is, but I didn't think the 3100 was that portable once I bought it.

I have built cabinets and other furniture pieces and love the T2424. The 3100 and 2400 are more portable than the 2424, if that is a determining factor, but capacity is definately on the 2424's side.

I think I would pick the 2400 over the 3100 if I need to pick one over the other for site use, I really liked it's features and performance.

One note the 3100 I had was one of the first ones available, I really haven't looked at them lately.
    Jerry K.

The Ridgid ts2424 has been replaced with the ridgid ts3612.
      Andy B.

The 2400 actually has 1.5" more ripping capacity than the 2424....the 3612 is in stores but you can still get the 2424...the 3100 isn't in the same ballpark as far as I'm concerned....if it were me and portability weren't an issue, I'd get the 2424 again in a heartbeat. But for the same money you can buy the 3612 and have more capacity and from what others say (but I'm not too convinced) a better fence.

I have both the 2424 and the 2400 and love having both for cabinet projects.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-24-2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: KellyC ]
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

I have the 2424 and it has served me very well. My experience with other Ryobi tools has been that they are a little down market, serving the home maintenance guy well, but I would not buy another now that I know how much I will be using my tools.

I do not consider the 2424 portable. The wheels are great for me sliding it against the wall and pulling it back out for clearance, but I would not think of dragging it around anywhere.

I have done a fair amount of work around the house, including the installation of a new deck, and found that the inconvenience of draggin the wood back and forth where I need to is worth it when you have a good piece of equipment when you get there. If your portable needs are limited, you could always get a cheap benchtopper to drag around and keep the "good stuff" in the shop.

Welcome to the forum.

My first TS was a Ryobi BT3000. I built several large projects--bookcase headboard, computer desk,six drawer dresser, and sewing table with it, using oak plywood. Not easy. Repeatability is confined to the current setup. Change and that setup is gone.

I now have a TS2424 and wish I had gotten this saw first.
            Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

You mentioned you had to store it in the basement, then drag it to the garage to use. Do you have to go up a flight of steps? Or is your basement a walk out?

If it is a walk out, you'll need a 36" entry door to get a 2424 or 3612 through.

If you have to drag it up the steps, the 2400 is about the only saw I would recommend. It's higly durable, very resonably priced, loaded with features. Ridgid also has a customer service department 2nd to none. The warrenty is real, and rare as a Jackalope for this day in age. That goes for all Ridgid Tools.

I have the 2424, though I would not say I have tricked it out, I have added to it, and always have idea's to improve upon it to make things easier. The 3612 has replaced the 2424, with some improvements, without cost increase. It's still the #1 value for it's class.

Full sheets of plywood on any stock contractor saw is better done with the aid of a few of Ridgid's Flip Top stands. If the wife adds to that "Honey Do List", you'll probably want to lean towards the 3612 if possable.

You are obviously not a newcomer to the table saw. You have a good idea of what you need. I hope this bit of info helps you make a decision.
              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\"></a>