Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...Grizzley doesn't do the manufacturing but they have been making good tools without performing the manufacturing for years. Emerson/Ridgid has not...

How many of the Ridgid woodworking tools do you think were actually built at the Tennessee plant? The jointer wasn't... The band-saw wasn't... The drill press wasn't...

I think ETC has been outsourcing manufacturing for quite a while now.
    Thats true Dave.
    But with the new era in tool manufacture does Ridgid have QC reps in the factories where their tools are made making sure of the quality? It looks like they may for the tools already made over seas, but they now will need more QC reps. Care to make an application anyone.
    Darn I\'ve stretched this board 3 times & it\'s still to short.

Comment

A few observations:
      1) Emerson Tool Company, which is a division of Emerson Electric Company, is not going out of business, nor is it likely to. The company is positioning itself for future profitability. It is likely that Management at the highest levels have looked over the books and decided that the less than profitable departments had to go. I do not see this in any way reflective of the quality of the tools. Although management also controls quality assurance, there are infinite layers of management in a company this large. I have never been anything but satisfied with Ridgid tools and customer service thus far. I have never heard anyone complain about either. Enough said!

2) Ridgid tools have a lifetime warranty from Ridgid, a division of Emerson. There is alot of legal wrappings around that warranty, and they cannot simply pull the plug. Don't think for a minute that the concept of the "Lifetime Warranty" hasn't been through the legal system a time or two. Your owners manual should have some fine-print about the warranty. You can bet your life that the outstanding warranties have a dollor value associated with them, and you can also bet your life that whichever company buys the rights to the Ridgid brand will have factored that value into the offer.

3) Here is where Home Depot saves the day for Ridgid tools, they are well aware that people are purchasing that warranty, and believe me, they will want to make sure that all future sales are offering this warranty as well. But again, tools already purchased under the warranty should legally be "insured".

Does anyone have an owners manual nearby to read the warranty legal mumbo jumbo?

Comment

What is covered:
        RIDGID® tools are warranted to be free of defects in workmanship and material.

How long coverage lasts:
        This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the RIDGID® tool. Warranty coverage ends when the product becomes unusable for reasons other than defects in workmanship or material.

How can you get service:
        To obtain the benefit of this warranty, deliver via prepaid transportation the complete product to RIDGE TOOL COMPANY, Elyria, Ohio, or any authorized RIDGID® INDEPENDENT SERVICE CENTER. Pipe wrenches and other hand tools should be returned to the place of purchase.

What we will do to correct problems:
        Warranted products will be repaired or replaced, at RIDGE TOOL’S option, and returned at no charge; or, if after three attempts to repair or replace during the warranty period the product is still defective, you can elect to receive a full refund of your purchase price.

What is not covered:
        Failures due to misuse, abuse or normal wear and tear are not covered by this warranty. RIDGE TOOL shall not be responsible for any incidental or consequential damages.

How local law relates to the warranty:
        Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific rights, and you may also have other
        rights, which vary, from state to state, province to province, or country to country.

No other express warranty applies:
        This FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY is the sole and exclusive warranty for RIDGID® products. No employee, agent, dealer, or other person is authorized to alter this warranty or make any other warranty on behalf of the RIDGE TOOL
        COMPANY.

Comment

Stuart, that's from the web site, no? The manual is slightly different (mostly a lack of commentary about Ridge Tool, the "plumbing" part of the company).

The dang thing is long, I'm not retyping all this. http://www.ridgidparts.com/pdf/TS24240.pdf is the TS2424 tablesaw manual, page 68 is the T&C of the warranty. Apologies, it is a pretty big file.

Dave

Comment

Dave, I copied that out of the manual (pdf file version) for the TS3612. I didn't compare it against whatever is on their website.

Edit:

I looked at the one in the 2424 manual, and it is different. I am guessing that the more recent tools use the version found in the TS3612 manual, because the JP0610 manual also contains the same text that I posted. <shrug>

You don't need to retype it - just use the text select tool in Acrobat (that's what I did - no way I would type that, either).

[ 05-07-2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Stuart H ]

Comment

Hmmm, interesting. I'm not going to speculate on why it changed. My Ridgid tools are a bit older, so I didn't recognize the language.

Text selection tool? Are you using commercial Acrobat instead of Reader like I do, or am I going to be in eternal debt to you for pointing out where this gem of a tool lives? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

Jeff P,
                I too have been on a buying spree of Ridgid tools because of their high quality and life time warranty. Maybe I'll have to look at Delta or others for my new drill press I'm planning on buying
                As much as I am disappointed that Ridgid/Emerson is giving up with what they are currently doing, I would not hesitate to buy the drill press. In recent magazine tests, it has been very near if not at the top in both reviews. I believe that only a Delta was chosen over the Ridgid, and that was primarily because of the motor size. I believe that the Ridgid DP is worth every penny of the $300, which is still cheaper than the $400 for a Delta.

[ 05-07-2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Mike3206 ]

Comment

My Tp1300 said "made in Taiwan". I knew that beforehand. I have noticed for the past several years that Taiwan's quality has climbed steadily. It is "made in China" that gives me the willies!
                  This is simply a continuation of what has been accellerating at a tremendous rate everywhere for the past 5 years. How many of you are aware that the Chevy S-10 will be made by Isuzu this fall? How about that GM has built an engine plant in China to supply the US. Yep, inside of two years your Chevy Pick up will be built in Japan with a Chinese motor!
                  \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

I want to be the one in Dave Arbuckle's debt...

Look for the letter T just to the right of the magnifying/zoom button on the Tool Bar of the free Adobe reader - this is Text Select. (Press F8 if your toolbar isn't showing.) The normal mode selects both columns at a time (ugh) so hold the button down until a fly-out set of buttons appears, including a T in a box... This is Text select for one column at a time. Then do the usual highlight and copy.

Note that this works in the body of most documents, but often does not work on graphics-intense areas like the cover where Adobe apparently uses funky symbols and fonts that don't copy as normal text.

Comment

I just wonder what people are going to do for work as fast as all the jobs are going over seas?

I am beginning to think I am in a good job managing subsidized housing we are seeing more people needing housing now days.

In the subsidized housing industry some of people are people displaced by the manufacturers rush to China & other over seas locations.

When so many are out of work because so many companies moving major manufacturing over seas I wonder if the people with the work over seas will purchase the products they are manufacturing when we no longer have the money to?

I have tried to purchase American made when I could afford to. But that isn't always possible

I think we have brought this upon ourselves by always wanting a bigger & bigger pay check & better & better benifits... Yes I like all this too but between Manufacturing costs & foreign trade & the laws of trade & taxes & the government, I don't think we'll ever personally have the whole picture.

Now days we work for the government instead of the government working for us. If we all would study the problem & vote accordingly oh well I'll get off my soap box now...........
                      Darn I\'ve stretched this board 3 times & it\'s still to short.

Comment

...and another one bites the dust.

John
                        Eastchester, NY
                        "The memory of bad quality lasts longer than the shock of high prices"~Anon.

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do somthing about it."~Marge Simpson

Comment

Text selection tool? Are you using commercial Acrobat instead of Reader like I do, or am I going to be in eternal debt to you for pointing out where this gem of a tool lives?

It's in the standard Acrobat reader, and Charlie P's description of it should get you going. It's pretty handy.

Comment

Dave, when I last downloaded the Acrobat reader, I believe the text option was a seperate check-box as was the text finder. If you don't have it, try downloading again from Adobe (or maybe just an add-in).

I may be wrong about the specifics of the following but I'm pretty positive that the gist is correct. [Also .pdf's must be saved as text files to use this option. I do a lot of reading of technical publications (I'm a Ph.D. student) and a few files aren't saved this way because of file size. When they aren't, I can't use the text highlight or text search and it is annoying.]

Comment

Here's what I think...the tools that were not made in the Tennessee plant were more than likely outsourced to another manufacturer overseas. Now they have closed the Tenn plant and plan to outsource ALL the tools. Othe than that I think nothing changes including the HD contract. If they are going to honor the lifetime warranty on our tools, then the new ones should have it too....so what's changing? Not much really...they just aren't going to make the tools themselves anymore. The licensing of the Ridgid name will depend on the new source qualifying for the position of supplying them to HD's by proving their ability to provide quality tools.

Personally I'm not worried much...when the reviews of the 1290 start faltering then we worry. My guess is the saw is made by someone else (that might explain the huge delay here...we still don't have them) and that now that the Tenn plant is closed...Ridgid is already out of the manufacturing end. My guess is also that it's due to the high cost of American manufacturing that killed Emerson's production.

This will surely happen to all other tool manufacturers down the road. Yep it's sad, but then if it were your bottom line, wouldn't you do the same?

I wouldn't jump ship just yet on the Ridgid brand...
                              Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

After posting to this thread a couple times and thinking about it, I guess it all boils down to get what you need now before the new stuff hits the shelves.
                                A lot of the tools are out sourced now, and we all know the quality is very high. We'll have to give the new supplier time to see what is produced. If it's junk, there's always Delta.
                                As for Customer support, it should not be a problem in the future, even if it goes the way of Sears, as long as you can get parts.
                                Personally,I'm going to hit every HD in my area to find a "in stock" TP1300 this weekend. Got to get "The Good Stuff" before it's gone!
                                To think, some desent marketing and more outlets could have avoided all of this. Ridgid is not,IMO,a common woodworking tool name. It's only known by people who take the time to research value. Ask any average Joe to name a saw and I bet the answer will be Craftsman, Delta, Ryobi,and Dewalt, companys that mass market.
                                Rob Johnson
                                Orange Ca.
                                Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Working...
                                X