No announcement yet.

Check This Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gad, Gator, we're in a cheerful mood today!

I think the wording of the statements certainly leaves a lot to the imagination. We can all point to quality horror stories to feed the imagination.

Licensing probably doesn't actually mean the quality will drop. Look at companies like Skill or Black and Decker----the minute they got hooked up with a better brand, they let the quality of their own named tools go to pot.

I'm willing to wait and see. If Ridgid continues to produce quality and inovation, like with the 3612, I'll continue to be a supporter. If, however, they start to cut quality, with plastic parts, like Ryobi-----I'm just glad there are still other good choices.
    Dave

Comment

A very large proportion of my 3612 was stamped "Taiwan". Some parts were made here, but I believe that the Tenn plant was probably primarily assembly, packaging, inventory & shipping.

The machine tools & molds for the production of the existing range are already in place in China/Taiwan. Why would they invest in the development & manufacture of new sets of machine tools/molds to produce an inferior product?

The design & quality of the China/Taiwan operations are of a standard in line with that of Jet & Delta. I can't see this quality changing unless they change manufacturers. See para 2 as to why this wouldn't make business sense...

My guessing games finished for now...since we're not part of the Emerson senior executive staff, there's only so much time one can spend on speculation!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

David

Comment

Would it not behoove us all to cease with all our conjecture and give Ridgid the benefit of doubt? They have been extremely good to us thus far, (quality product, fair price, and exceptional customer service). It would be a safe assumption that their tools will be over scrutinized in the near future and if the quality of their tools starts to diminish so will their reputation and at least we will be the beneficiaries of being owners of their tools when quality was still paramount.

Woodslayer

Comment

Well----agreed, speculation isn't going to find the answers-----but I'd wonder if we were on Emerson's executive board----hope we'd at least listen.

How many posts have been on this small board complaining about not having knowledgable HD employees to show the Ridgid tools----how may people have walked in wanting a Ridgid tool and walked out in disgust when the HD staff couldn't find it?

I really can't believe that part of the problem rests squarely with HD----it's hard to sell a tool if you can't find it in the warehouse!
          Dave

Comment

If I were on the Board, I sure wouldn't have voted for an exclusive outlet.
            Availability is a must in this market.
            Make your Brand a household name with advertising.
            Look at the HD web site. See any ads for Ridgid????
            There's plenty for Dewalt and Ryobi.....
            In fact, to get to Ridgid tools you have to go to the manufacturers index.

Rob Johnson
            Orange, Ca.

[ 05-11-2003, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Backyard Woodworker ]
            Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Rob----that's a hard one to make a call on. Considering that Emerson (Ridgid) had had the exclusive agreemnet with Sears, until 1998, it probably made perfect sense to move to HD---then the up and coming leader for home improvement and tools.

And, in all honesty, when Ridgid hit the HD stores, at first, they were the king of the road----full, shop-like displays of their tools, actual HD employees who knew the product line, etc.

You are certainly right about current HD support----over the past few years, it's all been going downhill. Frankly, I just don't know how their current plans are going to change things at the retail end. You can't sell through a product the store displays poorly or not at all, and can't seem to find even when someone is ready to buy.
              Dave

Comment

I think it time to get back to woodworking!
                Andy B.

Comment

Andy,
                  I second you... I have not and will not comment on this topic... Everyone needs to put their crystal balls away and go make some sawdust... Ridgid's future will unfold in time and we can make judgment at that point...

Now back to the shop... I've made 2 chairs today and I'm shooting for 4...
                  Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Thanks Big Johnson!
                    Andy B.

Comment

I asked this question of Ridgid:

Given that Emerson is no longer going to be making Ridgid WW tools, will SOMEONE ELSE be making them and selling them with the Ridgid name on them ?

And got this response:

We are currently exploring the options available to us. Nothing is confirmed at this date.

so, maybe they will be available by someone else, maybe they won't.

Comment

If anyone figures this stuff out, give me a call. I've got some medical bills that I don't understand.

I'll be in the shop as well.

Comment

OK----not saying this is what will happen, but here's one example of something that did happen---if you're old enough to remember.

DuPont Paint was long the standard in quality paints. In their line, the mainstay was Duco Paint and they also made Duco Cement. Later, when latex paint became popular, they came out with Lucite Paint.

DuPont later decided to get out of the consumer market completely and concentrate on their car finishes and industrial coatings. They then sold both the Duco and Lucite names to other manufacturers. Can't say for sure if you'll still see them around, but since the late '70s I think, no Duco or Lucite product was made by DuPont.
                          Dave

Comment

Same is true for BF Goodrich. They made tires for years, then got out in the 80's and went into the aerospace/chemical field. Since the name is still on the tires, people assume that BF Goodrich makes them, when in fact Michelin does.

Comment

BF also dabbled in rubber roofing, which was a total disaster for them. It was in the 80's when they dumped that field of industry as well. I think that is when they got out of the rubber manufacturing all together. They seen bigger dollars elsewhere.
                              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X