Rockler router table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockler router table

I just recently purchased a PC 895pk router set and want to get a table for it. looking online i have taken it down to pretty down to this http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=894 with the 890 plate. right now its on sale for 130 bucks.

what i am curious about is if anybody knows if this table is really worth buying. i am not looking for a top end table but want one thats not going to sag on me either.
    also can you get different size inserts for it? right now i dont really need them i dont think but someday may be usefull.

i have also thought about just buying an insert plate like this one from woodpeck.com http://www.woodpeck.com/aluminsert.html but would just assume buy a complete table top.

Thanks in advance for you're opinions

Re: Rockler router table

I purchased the Rockler table sometime in the past eight months or so, built my own leg set, purchased the 4-pc accessory set of feather boards, as well as the plastic insert that allows the use of "Porter-Cable-style" bushings. I purchased a full set of brass bushings, including the table set from Lee-Valley.

I use mine with the Ridgid router and I'm very happy with it. The table is an 1-1/8 thick MDF, so it appears to be quit sturdy. The table is also sealed on both the top and bottom with melamine and the outer edge treated with a vinyl T-molding. The 1/4-inch aluminum mounting plate is leveled by four adjustable screws at each corner of the table's recessed mounting area.

I built the support table to be easy to knock down (wedged, mortice and tenon joints) for portability and it supports the table top on all four sides to minimize any chance for sag. Still, I don't leave my router mounted in the table for any lengthy periods... first reason is that the magnesium base is vulnerable to humidity, but I also thought it might be a good idea to remove any long-term weight on the middle of the table. (I'm not very trusting of MDF in any form).

Since my original purchase, I've added a couple of other Rockler accessories and I believe I'm at a point where I can do just about anything I want with it. IMO, a table top at that price is a fairly good bargain and it's well thought out.

I hope this helps, and let me know if I can provide any additional information.

CWS

Comment

MAS- I've been watching that table myself, and am thinking of taking the plunge (no pun intended). If you have a Rockler retail store within reasonable driving distance, you should be able to get the table for $99 until 8/1. In fact, I just got an email from my local store with a coupon for 50% off one "clearance" item, so I might be able to get it for only $50, which would be an absolute steal! Here's a link to their retail flyer with the deal (doesn't specify a region, so I assume it's nation-wide):

http://www.rockler.com/retail/flyer/July08/6.cfm?

CWS- Do you remember which router plate you purchased with your table? I think I have the same router (Ridgid 2930?), but am not sure which plate will fit the best. I think I may have read somewhere that the mounting screws are the same as the PC 890, but I can't recall for sure.

Also, can you elaborate on how magnesium is affected by high humidity, and what you can do to prevent any problems? I live in Boston where it can get fairly humid, but haven't been taking any precautions with my router. I haven't noticed any problems yet, but should I be worried?

Comment

Thanks for the quick replys,
        CW - is the bushing insert you mentioned there part# 35174 * insert for 1-1/4" guide bushing* for $10.99 if so i can see where that would be a good addition to get also.

angus - I wish i did live close to a Rockler store closest thing i have is up in des moines is the Woodsmith store but by the time i drive there with the price of gas i might as well spend extra and pay to have it shipped lol.

thanks again.

Comment

CWS:

I'd like to know about the correct mounting plate, too. I have been looking at the Rockler table, fence & plate combo and I also got the same 50% off one clearance item coupon, so I'm hoping for the $50 deal too! But I thought the Ridgid router used the PC 690 plate (or is this the same as the 890)?

Thanks!

-O&B

Comment

Okay Angus, MAS, and O&B,

I just went and found my receipt, so here's what I ordered:

Router Table and Fence Kit with P/C 690/693 Rtr Plate, Item 23293 $135.99

This consisted of the following:
            Router Table and Fence, Item # 26798
            Router Plate P/C 690 BSCH DeWALT Item # 27834

In addition, on the same order, I also purchased:

Table Insert P/C 1-1/4", Item # 35174 $ 9.34
            (this is the black plastice insert that fits in the mounting plate and allows you to use P-C style table bushings.)

4 Piece Router Accessory Kit, Item # 53756 $33.99

From Lee-Valley (www.leevalley.com) I purchased:

9-Piece Template Guide Set, Item # 46J91.20 $ 28.50

8-Piece Plate Insert Set, Item # 46J92.20 $ 20.50

The 9-Pc Guide Set is used on the Ridgid Fixed Base plate when using the router outside the table. The bushings have a nose, used against your pattern or whatever. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...000,51208&ap=1

The 8-pc set is used with the table to minimize the clearance around the router bit. (It's just a flat bushing set that sits flush with the plate surface.) http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...000,51208&ap=1

So, on to the answers to your questions:

Angus and O&B,

See my list above... the plate is for the P-C 690, not the 890.

As far as the oxidation/corrosion is concerned, I'm only guessing that the motor housing is magnesium. When I brought this to the attention of Customer Support, they told me it was aluminum, but none of my other aluminum tools are showing any such effects.

What I noticed almost immediately on handling the R2930, was that the motor housing shows fingerprints almost like dark stains. This didn't bother me, but several weeks ago I mounted the router in the table for a series of molding and trim cuts and since this is an ongoing project from room to room, I decided to leave everything mounted and ready to go. The shop is in the basement of our future home in Binghamton and I spend a week there and a week back here in Painted Post, getting this house ready for market.

After about four weeks, I finally got back to my trim and molding project and I about freaked. The upper inch and a half or so of the motor housing was exposed (the rest being down inside the base) and it was whitish gray with oxidation. So much so that when wiped away, it actually stained/etched the motor housing. You could clearly see what was and wasn't exposed to the air.

I've cleaned it up, but you can still see the casing had started to etch. I don't think aluminum would have reacted that quickly and with aluminum being the principle metal in many of my tool, nothing else is showing that kind of oxidation/corrosion. I suspect the housing to be magnesium, as is the base. The base however, firmly clamps around the motor housing and therefore none of it's I.D. is exposed, unlike the O.D. of the motor housing. I should point out that it is only the base ID and the motor housing OD that would be effected as they are machined surfaces, everything else is painted.

Ridgid Customer Support's response was that it was aluminum and that I could use paste wax, WD40, oil or whatever. My concern of course is that if this tool was exposed for a long period of time, the metal could be seriously etched/damaged without proper protection.

MAS

Yes, that's the correct bushing insert... # 35174

You might note that for larger diameter cutters, you should probably also get the blank insert (no hole), and cut your own. I believe the bushing set takes you up to about 7/8" or 1". The bushing insert itself has a 1-3/16th hole in it, as I recall.

About the only other thing I can think of with using the Ridgid R2930, is that the fixed base works okay with the above plate. The plunge base is simply much too large. To use it, you'd have to go with the larger style plate I believe, and probably have to drill you own mounting holes.

When using the PC 690 compatible plate (Item # 27834) you will have to drill an access hole, should you want to use the "above table" T-handle adjustment tool. Not a big deal, just use the plexiglass baseplate as your guide. Also, because of the thickness or the Rockler table, the handle near the front (when mounted in the table) will have to come off. The handles are mounted so low on the base, that the one handle interferes with the table.

Removing the handle can be a real bear. Those caps covering the mounting bolts have a tiny slot on one side that gives the appearance that a screwdriver might simply pry the cap off. NOT SO, my friends. Those caps are about a half-inch or so deep into the handle and all the prying in the world will do nothing but raise your blood pressure and tear up the handle. So after much frustration, I took a nail set and simple drove it into the plug (at the edge, on that little opening) at about a 60 degree angle. That broke throught the plug's wall, and I was then able to leverage the plug out of the handle. Plug is ruined, but the handle's intact, and once the plug is out, the bolt is easily removed.

I hope this is helpful to everyone... sorry it was so long.

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 07-18-2008, 12:00 AM.

Comment

CWS thanks again, You have been very helpfull to me in deciding what i need to order.
              As other have noted in the past there is alot of knowlege given on this forum and i have learned alot from reading reviews of different products on here.

Comment

Just wanted to tell you that I have the Rockler table and pc690 plate with the R2930 router and you do not have to remove the handle on the router base for it to fit. In the correct position, the on/off switch on the router will be facing to the back of the table and the depth adjustment will be facing the front.

Comment

Thanks CWS!

You've answered a ton of my questions.

On another note, I tried using the 50% off coupon toward the router table, fence & plate combo at the local Rockler retail store, but they wouldn't accept the coupon for that item. Only good toward clearance items.

-O&B
                  Last edited by Orange&Blue; 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange&Blue View Post
                    ...I tried using the 50% off coupon toward the router table, fence & plate combo at the local Rockler retail store, but they wouldn't accept the coupon.
                    That's too bad, O&B. I've noticed that the retail stores aren't always up to date on the national promotions, but as long as I bring in the flyer (or printout of the webpage, etc.) they're more than happy to accommodate.

In fact, I almost had a similar experience this weekend, when I went to purchase the router plate (1/4" aluminum, PC690 version). It was listed in the national flyer as a closeout item, and on sale for $39.99. The manager at the local store said it wasn't a closeout item, but as soon as I showed him the flyer, he said, no problem and then went on to apply the 50% off coupon to the sale price. So I got the $59 plate for only $20. I almost felt bad paying that price, but I loaded up my cart with some other odds and ends to make up for the difference.

Don't know when I'll have a chance to install the new plate (planning to make a table insert for my ts3650), but I'm sure it will be a vast improvement over the table-top router table I'm using now, which happens to be quite terrible.

Comment

I have that same table top with my 893pk and so far it has been great. I build a simple rolling base out of 2x4s until I figure what I want but too be honest I like the simple design and may just keep it. Pic attached.

The store in Houston is not that close to me but I bought the top there. I also signed up with my email address and I get a nice email flyer about once a week from the store manager. The sales are different than the national and there is always a coupon there. Typically I do not sign up for these things but the coupons have saved me some dough on a dove tail jig.

Just some thoughts.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Got my new router table last night and i think that it will suite me for a long time.
                        Roybullets i had in my head to make something along the lines of what you made for a stand 1 quick question though, what did you do to attach it to the table top. i have the Kreg pocket hole jig and was thinking about attaching the 2x4's to the bottom that way. but i am always open to better ideas.

thanks again guys!

Comment

MAS,

For what it's worth, I also made a table using 2 x 4 stock. The primary objective for me was to make a table that was easily setup and knocked down for transport. Basically my table consists of two side/leg assemblies that are glued-up using mortice and tenon assembly. These are joined in front and back by by four 2 x 4's that are tenoned on each end and mate with through mortices cut in the two leg assemblies. Wedges solidly hold the whole thing together nicely and it is easy to knock down and transport.

To go along with the easy assembly, I simply sit the Rockler table on the top of it. (I designed the assembly so that the top pieces fully support the table on all four sides, to eliminate sag and also provide full contact for the unusual manner in which I intended to hold the top in place. For that, I use that non-slip lining material used for shelfs and with the weight of the table top, and router, there is no movement during operation. I suppose if you really leaned into it, it might slide but so far I've had no problems at all. It has proved to be simple and works well for my purposes.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by MAS View Post
                            Got my new router table last night and i think that it will suite me for a long time.
                            Roybullets i had in my head to make something along the lines of what you made for a stand 1 quick question though, what did you do to attach it to the table top. i have the Kreg pocket hole jig and was thinking about attaching the 2x4's to the bottom that way. but i am always open to better ideas.

thanks again guys!
                            I did not want to drill through the top so I bulit some corner blocks in the table and mounted some to the bottom of the table top with press board screws. I used at T-Nut 5/16" in the block on the table top and and just attach with one screw fro easy removal. I did not want to permanently attach the top.

Pics attached.

The corner blocks fit so well I really do not need the screw but use it any way. The whole base cost me at $15 since I had most of the scrap lumber around.

Also with all the open space I can change bits pretty easy without removing the router or lifting the plate. Simple is best sometimes.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by RoyBullets; 07-25-2008, 11:21 PM.

Comment

those are both excellent ideas, I bet it will help more forum members than just me on deciding what to do for a stand

Comment

Working...
                              X