X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools on sale at HD?

On the various woodworking discussion boards, I keep coming across guy saying that they just bought a Ridgid <model> at HD for <way less than usual>. For example, I just came across a guy who bought a TP1300 last month for $297 with a free stand. I've been watching for the TP1300 to go on sale at my local HD store, but they never seem to have tools on sale here like I hear about elsewhere. Is this a regional thing, or a local decision of some sort? If they had the TP1300 on sale here for $297 (even without the free stand), I'd have one in the back of my truck when I pulled into the driveway tonight!

Is there a particular seasonal/regional pattern to this?

The other thing I never see here is factory reconditioned machines. I've heard of them showing up in other HD stores, but they've never been in the stores here. Is that a local manager thing? It's apparent that the local management isn't particularly concerned with selling Ridgid machinery -- they keep piling stuff in front of it so you can't get to the display.

D.

All-

When you see a tool at HD that has a yellow tag it does not mean that the tool has been discontinued! It only means that the particular SKU (HD stock tracking #) has been discontinued. In most cases it really means that the SKU has been changed, due to either updates to the tool, promotions or otherwise. Do not think that just because you see a yellow tag that a tool is being drop from the store.

Factory Recons go back to the store which sent them into our service center, so if your store doesn't get many returns or does not sell a large volume you will not see many recon. tools

Jake

Comment

Jake, thanks for the clarification. However, the one "yellow tag" situation that I mentioned in a different post -- a TS-2400 -- specifically says "Last One." While it probably IS the last of that SKU (assuming the new bundle has a different SKU), it is VERY misleading.

I also noted thatthe other HD store here (North Little Rock) also has their display TS-2400 yellow tagged. What annoys me about that is that the yellow tag is for the regular price, and is the saw only... while the new bundles are just a few feet away.

Lets paint a likely scenario here. I am not currently shopping for a mobile saw (I already have a TS-2400), but lets pretend that I AM a buyer. I wouldn't want to pay full price for a floor display unit to start with, but I would be particularly angry if I bought the saw, paid another $150 for the stand, and later found out that the "new" model (new SKU) has the stand included for the same $497 that I had paid for the saw alone. If I were made aware that "new" items were right there in the store when they charged me $150 more (and for a floor model at that)at the time, I'd be spitting nails like a Senco. Even throwing in the stand for free isn't a fair deal when they want the same price for a saw in the box as for the display. Apparently I'm not the only customer to note the inconsistency here, because both stores have failed to move their display units.

Since the actual product isn't changing -- only the way the items are bundled -- why don't they just continue using the display units as the display units? If the manager really feels the need to rotate the old unit out and put a shiny new one on display, then the old display ought to be discounted appropriately.

I realize that this primarily reflects poorly on HD, but that poor reflection isn't doing your reputation any good -- and could do it some harm.

OK, I'm done ranting now.

D.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Case:
        Lets paint a likely scenario here. I am not currently shopping for a mobile saw (I already have a TS-2400), but lets pretend that I AM a buyer. I wouldn't want to pay full price for a floor display unit to start with, but I would be particularly angry if I bought the saw, paid another $150 for the stand, and later found out that the "new" model (new SKU) has the stand included for the same $497 that I had paid for the saw alone. If I were made aware that "new" items were right there in the store when they charged me $150 more (and for a floor model at that)at the time, I'd be spitting nails like a Senco. Even throwing in the stand for free isn't a fair deal when they want the same price for a saw in the box as for the display. Apparently I'm not the only customer to note the inconsistency here, because both stores have failed to move their display units.

D.
        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can definitly understand the frustration a customer may have, but I believe in those cases, most HDs would be happy to price match, or refund the difference in the purchase price.

Jake

Comment

Jake, please don't take this as hostile... but you use the term "price match." That is generally used in the HD environment to refer to matching the price of a competitor for the same product. How do they "price match" on a product -- like thew TS-2400 -- that is only available from HD?

You are correct that if I were to purchase the display saw and stand at the marked price, and after the fact come back and raise heck with the manager about it, they would probably refund the difference between the new package and the old seperate prices. That would leave me paying the same price for a display unit as others are paying for a new unit in the box. Is that a fair and ethical way to do business?

Now... if I were shopping and they had the display marked at $397 with free stand ("this display only"), I'd buy it unless there were obvious problems or missing parts. At $447, I'd consider it, even if the price of the new bundles were posted. If it were $497 with free stand, and I didn't know about the new bundle, I might buy it and end up unhappy next time I come in and find them selling brand new in the box at the same price. In fact, I'd likely not come back, and HD would lose a customer for good.

There's a basic ethical issue here, Jake, that makes me wonder about the way HD does business. With HD and Ridgid joined at the hip, it can't help but reflect on Ridgid's business practices, regardless of whether or not Ridgid condones HD's behavior. Remember, when HD abuses a customer and loses them for good, Ridgid loses that customer for good, too.

Again, Jake, please don't hear me being hostile toward you or Ridgid -- this is a basic ethical issue that I feel VERY strongly about (in case you couldn't tell... ).

D.

Comment

Home Depot has a liberal return policy. You could return it and then buy a new one at the new price.

I just kind of don't look back. Everybody seems to buy everything cheaper than I do. Heck, I enjoy what I have anyway.

Dave

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Case:
              ...I've been watching for the TP1300 to go on sale at my local HD store, but they never seem to have tools on sale here like I hear about elsewhere. Is this a regional thing, or a local decision of some sort? ...

Is there a particular seasonal/regional pattern to this?...

D.
              <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a long time HD and Lowe's NEVER ran sales here. It was always their, "everyday low price." But since HD moved almost right next door to Lowe's we see a mostly 10% off lowest price sales and occasional clearance sales. But there never is anything good on the clearance sales. They are pretty good at keeping the stock at just the right levels to keep the good stuff sold.

Comment

Dan, I can certainly understand your frustration. Don't see much here in the way of sales at HD, but I did score recently on a Factory reconditioned EB4424 Sander for $149. That's the good news. I also paid $397 for the TP1300 and now I read that someone bought one for $297 w/stand. (OUCH)

Well, at least my local HD is cleaning up their act and a TS 2424 was actually set up pretty well. Display is getting better. They are still trying to sell the old jointer for the same price as the new 6010. New ones are in boxes on the racks.
                I really think that these boo-boos are errors of omission rather than commission. I think they are so strapped for good help that these things just happen because no-one really knows what's going on. Lowes is building right across the street from HD. Sneaky devils that they are, though, you will seldom find different prices on like items. In this respect, mgmnt is right on top of things.
                Dick

Comment

Hegy
                  If the 297.00 hurt I guess I shouldn't bragg but I got real lucky and caught the HD in a screw up and got my TP1300 w/stand for 240.00 sorry I hope that you to may find a deal soon though. I have found that if I visit often I seam to get lucky on these deals. My wife sayes it like a trip to the candy store for me. OK whats her point [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I bought my TP1300 (New In The Box) at a Houston HD for $297 with a free stand and with in the same week I went to the two nearest HD from where I bought mt TP1300 and they did not have them on sale. Then I went back to store #1 and they still had them on sale.

It beats the heck out of me why?

Also at one store the guy said "they never put these on sale".

So I don't try to figure them out....I just stop bye the different store just to check out what may be on sale.

Scott

Comment

This has nothing to do with RIDGID, but here's one little story about HD's policy on price matching.

Not too long ago I was looking to buy a P-C 2" brad nailer. I'd made my selection by scouting some data from a number of web sites, and had in my mind that the price was about $100. Scooted down to my local HD (where they are going to give me my own marked parking space, since I'm there so much) and found the marked price was $140. While I share Brother Arbuckle's outlook about not caring so much about getting the lowest price on something if I get something that I like and that works for me, 40% was just too much of a gap.

So I sent HD an email suggesting that they might have a computer glitch that was jacking the price of the nailer off scale, and they replied by saying that if I printed out a web page offering for the same machine, HD would match the price. So I printed out half a dozen, in the range from $97 to $110, and trotted back to my private parking space. Not only did the lady insist on giving me the lowest of the half-dozen prices -- I had suggested averaging them would be fairer -- but I got out of the store twice as quickly as I would have paying full price because you go through the Customer Service desk, not the usual over-loaded checkout lines.

Now I have to confess that I love HD. The store is dirty (we don't go in without gloves on) and some of the displays are disappointing, but they always have what I want, and I've never encountered a service person who was the least be grouchy or other than eager to try to steer me in the right direction. Their open arms attitude on pricing my brad nailer is just another reason to love them (though I was in the store last night and noticed that the marked price is still $140).

By the way, the brad nailer is terrific.

Comment

RGad,

Thanks for the information. The only problem, at least in regard to this thread, is that HD has a lock on Ridgid sales and, therefore, the TP1300. I'm sure I'll put your information to use myself at some point. I too like HD and go there often. Lately I’ve been going even more often since Scott (ssg57) told us all about his great deal on the TP1300. Not only more often but I'm hitting all HD's within 50 miles and no luck as yet. Eventually I will succeed. I’m persistent.

It’s hard to even find a salesperson in the tool dept. at my local HD. When they first opened a couple of years ago they were everywhere but recently they kind of let the tool dept. take care of itself. When I finally did retrieve a saleswoman who said she worked in the tool section and asked her about ssg57’s deal ($297 with stand) she told me that they never put the planer on sale here. She added that they, at times, have people on a waiting list for orders. Hmmm?

John

Comment

Yeah, I haven't asked anyone in my store about that sale price yet, but I get the impression that the deal ssg57 is talking about was a bit of a fluke -- I don't think I've ever seen a 'real' sale on Ridgid machines around here. Of course, since HD pretty much owns the Ridgid franchise, they don't really have much pressure to put Ridgid tools on sale. I have to admit that I still wonder if they even care whether Ridgid machines sell or not.

The only problem I have is that the TP1300 is a really good planer, and in fact is likely the best in its class. Still, there's something about the HD pricing arrogance that bugs me. I believe in the competitive marketplace, and HD/Ridgid's exclusive cohabitation just doesn't encourage the competitive force that drives sales volume up the charts. Trust me, if Lowe's had the Ridgid TP1300 in the tool corral, everyone would benefit --

1) Price would go down because of competitive forces -- good for the consumer
                          2) Volume of units sold would increase -- good for Ridgid, Lowes and HD.
                          3) More units in shops mean more exposure, more referrals, and more demand, creating even more sales volume (see #2)
                          4) More sales volume means the need for more production volume, lowering the cost per unit (lower prices for consumers, higher profit for manufacturer and distributors).
                          5) Higher production volume requires more labor, producing more jobs and more people with spendable income to further fuel our economy. That's good for everybody.

Competition is always good -- when you do it right, it's always a real win-win.

Well, I'm soon gonna be in the place where I'll need to go ahead and buy a planer, and I just might impulse buy one of those $299 DeWalts (the ones that are usually $399) the next time I see one offered. I think the TP1300 is probably a better machine overall, but the DeWalt isn't bad... and they aren't afraid to let the marketplace be the marketplace.

OK, enough ranting for today

D.

Comment

If the $297 deal was a fluke......tell me what this is......today 8-14-01 I stop by my HD where I got the $297 deal on the tp1300 with the stand. And to my surprise they had the tp1300ls ls=leg stand on sale both planer and stand for $249.

Now HD have me going by weekly just to check out the tools and in store sales.

This is in Houston at the I-10 / Belt Way 8 store for anyone in the area.

ssg57

Comment

Jake
                              I'm curious? What is the stand number for the TP1300. When I bought mine at HD they said that there wasn't a specific stand for it that everyone used the universal stand and modified it a little. Being one who like for all things to fit probally I decided not to modify. Now it sounds like there is an actual stand made for the TP 1300. If you can straighten me out ( I know this is an impossible dream but please try) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X