X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore tack to random orbit sander PSA pad

Is there a way to restore the tack to the PSA pad of a random orbit (hook and loop) sander? I'd like to avoid spending $13 and another $8 for shipping for a new pad if there is a way to extend the life of the one I have. The sander is a RIGID R2600. Thx.

Re: Restore tack to random orbit sander PSA pad

All of my sanders are H&L so I'm not sure if this will work or not but maybe an adhesive remover like 3M makes will work.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

So your rationale is that adhesive from the sanding disks has built up on the pad and the remover might dissolve it?

Comment

The PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) is on the sanding disk not the pad so I don't understand what you are asking - please clarify

Comment

You might want to try rubbing the pad down with alcohol. It will get rid of adhesive residue and any dust stuck to it and might get the tack back. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog View Post
            So your rationale is that adhesive from the sanding disks has built up on the pad and the remover might dissolve it?
            You got it, that's exactly what I was thinking. I use the 3M Adhesive Remover on the disc portion of my disc/belt sander whenever I change out the disc. So far, I've never had a problem with the discs coming off. The disc on my disc/belt sander is metal but I don't think that should make any difference.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The glue from the PSA discs can adhere to the pad, particularly if they have become heated from friction. DIrt and dust will stick to the glue on the pad, but do not give a good surface for the disc to adhere to. DNA (alcohol), naptha, both will remove it, and if it is really bad, use GooGone and then remove the GooGone residue with alcohol.

I use both PSA and H&L. I have used all three (alcohol, naptha, and GooGone) to restore the clean smooth surface of the vinyl pad. My preference is alcohol, but naptha works a bit quicker if its heavy. Don't use lacquer thinner as it will dissolve the vinyl.

Go
              Last edited by Gofor; 07-21-2008, 06:51 PM.
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Will give a couple (that I have onhand) a try tonight!

Comment

Working...
                X