Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbe R4330 needs complaints regrets

Hello all...

I have narrowed my search for a small planer to the DeWalt 734 or the new Ridgid R4330. I have heard a lot of good stuff on the R4330 and the 734 has some history, but I am asking if any one of you who has this planer has any gripes, complaints or regrets with the R4330?

I am usually over at the Sawmill Creek, but some of them have referred me to you all.

I should just go out and get the R4330 and be done with it....My daughter says I suffer form paralysis by analysis

Thanks...Richard.

Re: Newbe R4330 needs complaints regrets

Can't say I've tried the R4330 but people here seem to like it with no regrets. Likewise I have a 734 which I have no complaints or regrets about. I'd say they're both good buys.

Comment

The only complaint that I've heard about the Ridgid 4330, is that the head appears to move in some rare cases. The older Ridgid 1300 incorporated a cutter head lock, but the new design of the 4330 did away with that by utilizing four lift screws in the head (instead of the two on the 1300), with one located at each corner. This was supposed to provide more stability to the cutter head (now a 3-blade, instead of the older 1300's 2-blade) and thus eliminate the need for a locking mechanism

I've seen three or four posts where the new owner has expressed his concern that the cutter head moves. No follow-up's were posted, so I'm not sure how valid a complaint that is.

CWS

Comment

First time I heard about the head cutter moving. Hmmm.

I own one and have had good results thus far. In fact, I'm using it tonight to plane down a guitar body I cut out last night.

The only complaints I've heard about the R4330 is that blades are hard to come by. Haven't personally been there yet. Really hope that's not a problem for me, or you.

c

Comment

Carl,

Regarding the availability of the replacement blade pack for the 4330. Early on there was apparently some confusion with Home Depot (I was certainly surprised by that ). But that has since been cleared up, by a bulletin sent from HQ on how to order the proper replacement blades. Currently all stores should have the 3-blade packs in stock. My local store has had them for several months now. The price is $29.97, same as the 2-blade pack for the older 1300 model. In my store, they are hanging on the same peg so you might have to sort through to find either.

CWWS

Comment

I just bought a 4330 at home depot last week.. I used it alot over the weekend with no problems. I also bought an extra set of blades at the same time.. Home depot has the blades..

Comment

I thought I had posted but don't see it so here goes again.
              Fine woodworking has a review of the bench top planers and from it I decided to buy the dewalt 734. I have been pleased with it and have had no snipe. The heads lock down to prevent this.

Comment

CWSmith and JoeBrat:

That's great news. I'm going to buy a couple of sets of replacement blades for a rainy day.
                Last edited by Carl762; 11-11-2008, 08:13 PM.

Comment

In checking with my local Home Depot, I find that they are "Out of Stock" on the New 4330 BUT, they have Reconditioned units available for $269...

I'm gun-shy...

Do you think the Reconditioned ones would be as good as NEW?!

I trust that they have new blades now...

... and you have to make a phone call to find out warranty information!

1 yr. warranty!

Would you believe that they DO NOT have spare blades for this model... YET?!!

I'm about to GIVE UP on Home Depot and spare knives for this... NOBODY in their right mind, IMHO, would ever buy one of these WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO GET REPLACEMENT KNIVES FOR THEM!
                  Last edited by Joe Lyddon; 12-04-2008, 07:04 PM. Reason: to update...
                  Have FUN! Joe ... www.woodworkstuff.net ..... My Small Gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showg...0&ppuser=1389/

Comment

and, here I was just reading a while back (above) that the blades are now available.

Well, still haven't picked any up yet. Better get it done.

Comment

If you have product Item#'s, Model#'s, and store SKU#, it would help a lot.

I don't think that HD emp's really KNOW anything about it without jumping through more hoops getting to the right people to talk to.

A real PITA...

I think I'd get one if I was could get extra blades AT THE SAME TIME.

Thank you...
                      Have FUN! Joe ... www.woodworkstuff.net ..... My Small Gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showg...0&ppuser=1389/

Comment

Re: Don't avoid reconditioned

I would not hesitate to buy the reconditioned unit if the price is right. I have bought numerous reconditioned tools from Ridgid and other manufacturers (including one large compressor) and have not yet seen any wear or had any problems at all. For example I bought a reconditioned Ridgid table saw (TS3650) and in putting it together I could tell that the original buyer had tried to put the lift mechanism on wrong and slightly bent it - took 30 seconds to fix it.

Comment

Re: Don't avoid reconditioned

Originally posted by dwwilson44 View Post
                          I would not hesitate to buy the reconditioned unit if the price is right. I have bought numerous reconditioned tools from Ridgid and other manufacturers (including one large compressor) and have not yet seen any wear or had any problems at all. For example I bought a reconditioned Ridgid table saw (TS3650) and in putting it together I could tell that the original buyer had tried to put the lift mechanism on wrong and slightly bent it - took 30 seconds to fix it.

I too am a recon buyer. The only Ridgid recon I have is a combo impact driver, circular saw pack (I don't count the sorry excuse for a flashlight). No problems but it does not qualify for the lifetime warranty. I didn't find that out until I owned it and I bought it from Cummins Tool Sales who were even a licensed reseller. You might want to check that out with customer service before laying your money down.
                          Later,
                          Chiz

Comment

The Ridgid is the best planer I have used in its class. Works great for me. I also just bought a new Ridgid Table saw TS3660 & it is as good as they say.

Comment

You need to check the Ridgid review forum. You will find reviiews on the R4330 there

Comment

Working...
                              X