X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Box Of Goodness!!

So I've been lurking around these forums for awhile now, but I now have stuff to post about. Well today I finally got to go pick up the TS 3660 and all I have to say is "HOLY CRAP, that's a huge box!". I was like a kid on Xmas walking up to the register with that thing!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to all the knowledge I can learn from you experts. Tomorrow I get to assembly this bad-boy!!

Travis

Would the forum benefit from pictures of each step of assembly?

Attachment

Attachment
    Attached Files
    Last edited by thbalke; 07-25-2008, 10:16 PM.

Re: Big Box Of Goodness!!

Originally posted by thbalke View Post
    Would the forum benefit from pictures of each step of assembly?
    Everyone loves pictures.

Comment

Read through the TS-3650 Assembly Tips thread, much of it will apply to the newer model 3660.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Tbalke, welcome to the forum. I’m pretty new here myself. Congratulations on your TS3660 purchase. I have the TS3650 and it went together great and was accurate right out of the box. Hope your TS3660 goes together as easy and is as accurate. As to your question about pictures, I can’t speak for anyone else but I would like to see how it goes together. Additionally, it could be beneficial to others who buy one and experience difficulties during the assembly process.

Comment

Welcome and congratulations on your new table saw. Plan on taking anywhere from 5 to 8 hours to assemble it. If you take your time and thoroughly digest the assembly instructions you'll find that you'll get everything right the first time. I think a big mistake many make is that they are so excited about their new tool that they rush the assembly job and usually forget to cross a couple of t's or dot a few i's.

The assembly thread that Bob D mentioned is well worth looking at before you start your assembly.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

yeah, I've read through the assembly tips a couple times already.

Originally posted by krich View Post
            As to your question about pictures, I can’t speak for anyone else but I would like to see how it goes together. Additionally, it could be beneficial to others who buy one and experience difficulties during the assembly process.
            That was my initial thought. Pictures would help troubleshoot issues people have with their saw. No more having to explain what certain parts look like!! I'll take some extra time and snap pictures of the steps.

Comment

For what it's worth before attempting to assemble it, check over the parts list and the actual box contents. Be sure it is all there! Also do have good tools and the right tools. Trying to use makeshift tools just doesn't get the job done. You will want a good carpenter's square and also a combination square like in the picture. The combination square helps with setting 90 and 45 degree angles. Do take your time with this project. Being careful does pay off.
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm actually going out today to get the comb. square.

Comment

Well, I got it all assembled!! Hercu-lift works like a champ! Fence, blade, and rails are extremely accurate. That thing is so quiet and cuts so smooth!! It's unbelievable. Only downside (which isn't the saw's fault) is my garage lights dim for a split second when it starts up. Any suggestions to fixing that? I'm guessing either it's own outlet off the breaker box, or its own 240v outlet off the box and rewire it to 240v.

I did snap quite a few pics of the assembly process. Basically completed steps, but also closeups of known trouble areas.

Now I gotta start my closet system!!

Comment

Well, I got it all assembled!! Hercu-lift works like a champ! Fence, blade, and rails are extremely accurate. That thing is so quiet and cuts so smooth!! It's unbelievable. Only downside (which isn't the saw's fault) is my garage lights dim for a split second when it starts up. Any suggestions to fixing that? I'm guessing either it's own outlet off the breaker box, or its own 240v outlet off the box and rewire it to 240v.

I did snap quite a few pics of the assembly process. Basically completed steps, but also closeups of known trouble areas.

Now I gotta start my closet system!!
                    Congrats on the new TS, and welcome to the forums! I hope the pics came out well. As far as electric goes, I put mine on it's own 15Amp (I think it's 15...might be 20...one of the electrical wizards can speak to that) circuit. Since it's only me using the tools, I have it setup so that circuit also feeds the jointer, the miter saw, and some of the portable tools like the planer and the drum sander. I can only use one tool at a time, so it works out ok. I got a couple power cords with multiple outlets. The type rated for outdoor. They're good thick cables, so they can take the power draw. I have all the lights on a separate circuit. I did eventually put in a second tool circuit recently, as I redesigned the shop to make it more efficient.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Would the separate circuit be something I can do since the breaker box is located in my garage on a concrete wall?

Comment

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find a wealth of great help here. If you search the forum for 3650 power, or 110, you'll find plenty of detailed information on this topic. Here's one thread that seems to explain some of the main advantages and theories, etc. in a relatively short thread:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16734

For what it's worth, when I first "installed" my 3650 in my humble basement shop, I blew the fuse almost every time I ran the saw. Rather than going to the trouble of re-wiring for 240V, I just popped a new 110V/20A fuse in the breaker board, and ran a dedicated line (I think it was 14 guage) that powers the 3650 & my wet/dry vac. Since then, I haven't blown a fuse yet (going on about 1.5 years, so far). Good luck!

Comment

14 gauge wire is for 15 amp circuits. 20 amp circuits require 12 gauge wire.
                          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

So it seems like it should be simple enough.

Comment

So it seems like it should be simple enough.
                              Do yourself a favor and be VERY careful. That kind of circuit power is more than enough to kill you. Make sure there's absolutely NO standing water in your garage before you start. Even with rubber soled shoes, that amount of electricity can kill you and standing in water will assure that. The floor must be clean and dry. If you'll be on a metal ladder, don't even try it. You must be extra careful with the screwdrivers in the breaker box. One slip means you're dead. Basically, when dealing with Mr. Electricity there are lots of ways to die. I've met him a couple times and it hasn't been pleasant. Exercise caution in every step. Use your best, most comfortable screwdrivers and don't do anything unless you're comfortable with how you're going to do it.
                              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X