X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw as a Jointer

I am fairly new to woodworking, but thought I had heard of using a table saw as a jointer. Has anyone else heard of the technique. If so, what's the trick.

welll you can do somethings on a tablesaw that you can do on a jointer, such as streight lineing
    you do this by making a jig that clamps the board in position and slides on the fence to get one streight face but if your board is cupped you cant get that out like a jointer. all in all 2 of the more important tools for furniture and cabinet work are a good jointer and a good table saw, Its kinda like using a wrench to drive a nail, it will work ---sorta bill

Comment

Freud makes a blade called the "glue line rip" blade. It creates a surface that can be glued up no problem, as long as you can keep the board steady throughout the cut, which is where good featherboards come in handy.

Comment

yeah the glue line blades work ok if the board is flat and square, if you rip a bowed board on a table saw your gona have 2 bowed boards, some how ya gotta flaten and square the board and that what the jionter is for bill

Comment

what about putting a board on your rip guide, then coming up through the board about half the width of the saw blade so that when you make a pass if only take minor amounts off. I thought a jointer was to make sure you have a square edge. I don't know all it's capabilities I guess. never look at one up close.

Comment

If you try to rip a board that has a curve in it, as it is pressed against the rip fence you will reproduce that curve in cut. You either must remove the that curve on the edge by running it through a joiner or provide a straight edge to press against the fence.

The later can be done by clamping the board to a known straight board (jointer board) and using the straight jointer board edge to produce a straight edge on the cut side of the board. By running the jointer board against the fence and cutting the curve off the other side of the board. The cut side will now be straight. Then you place the cut side of the board against the fence and cut the opposite side and you now have parallel and straight sided boards.

After you understand and use a jointer you will find as I did that after the saw a jointer is the most important piece of equipment in the shop.

When I buy rough stock the first past of the wood through anything is through the jointer. I join one edge and one surface. I then take the wood to the plane and plane the other side parallel with the joined surface. Then the board goes to the saw to have the other side ripped parallel to the joined edge and cut to length. I now have a board with all sides planed and parallel and 90 degree corners.
            Rev Ed

Comment

now have a board with all sides planed and parallel
              Well, maybe - provided the wood didn't have any internal stresses. If I want a really straight result and I'm starting with a board that is significantly wider than the desired size, I like to rip 1/4" larger than final, run on the jointer again and re-rip.

Comment

I appreciate all the helpful information. I guess what I thought read was wrong to an extent. I figure my next project to get some money together and buy a jointer. I want to make some furniture. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X