X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Vac Too Loud?

Here is a link to where there are 3 good videos on YouTube of a creative guy that built a shop vac rolling cabinet that also works well at reducing the noise level it makes. Please watch the videos and I'm sure some of you will be wanting to build one as a project. You can try your own designs and also add some sound absorbing materials. If you're at all into electrical work, you could put a power inlet on the back, a few receptacles on one side and a switch for the shop vac. Now let's get to work and see just how good of a job we can do making our own version.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...137#post162137

Re: Shop Vac Too Loud?

Hmmm, wonder if I can find the picture of my muffler in my Genie vacuum? LOL that worked good too, although not as much as his. Actually, my new "Shop Vac" is very quiet compared to my old Genie.

Last edited by The Wood Meister; 08-01-2008, 11:50 PM.
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

There is another version on Fine Woodworking that does have sound baffeling. Looks real good.

Comment

T W M

Does the motor head on your ShopVac look something like this one? They use curved and long air channels in it to lower noise. They still make too much noise if you ask me, but it's sure nicer than the ones that just blast the exhaust direct and thus really scream.

http://shopvac.com/vacs/detail.asp?I...index&StoreID=

Comment

To everyone be careful if you ever do make an enclosure for a vacuum cleaner. They must have lots of cooling air and that's not the air that's sucked in with dirt, filtered and blows out the exhaust. The motors on wet/dry vacs are of a bypass type. They rely on separate air for cooling. Only a vac with a pass through design motor-fan assembly could safely be put into the box. In that case all the air goes in the inlet and out the exhaust. If the inlet gets blocked or the filters clog up you soon overheat and burn up the motor. Now what I need to work on is a real good exhaust silencer for a shop vac. Most have the same size exhaust ports on them. With some luck I might get a patent and make some good money. Then most likely someone else has something better already on the market and I just need to locate it.

Comment

Hint: Try a section of hose in the exhaust and put the end out of the way. It helps.

Comment

Working...
            X