X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DUST COLLECTION AND GROUND WIRE

Just completed installation of the duct work accompanying my Grizzly 2hp dust collector.

Used PCV pipe -- 4 inch -- and it works fine.

I followed the instuctions in various books I read about installing an internal ground wire and also an external for the static electricity.

The good books say to ground each end of your ducts to the equipment and also to the Dust Collector.

Queston is why ground to each piece of equipment? Isn't the one ground wire to the dust collector sufficient to prevent the unlikley event of a dust explosion? My thinking is that if you ran a ground to the equipment and also to the dust collecotr (ultimately to the main circuit box) your just creating redundancy.

Appreciate hearing from the electrical experts on this one.

congrates on the cleaner safer air you are now going to breath [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I am not an expert on dust collectors but I am an electrical engineer - so i can only give you my opinion on what I remember about static electricity. I am sure you have already read enough about LEL and UEL so I won't bother (preach) to you on the potential of explosion. I am sure you have heard a dozen times that PVC is a dielectric and the sparks will occur in your duct work.
    To answer your question though, it is a good idea to keep both ends of the duct work at the same potential energy because a difference could cause sparks within the dielectric tubing.
    I have absolutely no idea what the chances of dust exploding are but I do know that to control static Electricity you will need to wrap bare wire on the inside of your PVC and ground it using alligator clips or the like to both the chassis of the dust collector and the tool you are using.
    Again I am no expert on "dust explosions" first I have ever heard of it, but I hope this helps you understand a little about electrical potential energy. Basically if you keep everything at the same potential you will reduce the likelihood of static discharge.
    Also, please post a picture of your setup I would love to see it - and by the way I will be using PVC most likely when I install my system, I personally think that their is a very low chance of catastrophe but with that said FLA is more humid then TX [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mick
    Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

Jerbitt,

Personally speaking, I'd ground everything, but probably individually against a common grounding bar running acroos the back of my work area (a dedicated copper pipe works well). Not sure where your shop is located, but if it is in the basement or garage or anyplace where your feet are on the "ground", a good safety measure is to always ground any equipment that has electrial potential.

Certainly, I would ground the duct system as instructed so as to minimize any chance of a dust explosion. I would also ground every bench and stationary power tool, simply because you have heavy voltage running to each of these tools. A ground will not only remove any static electricity from the tools, but will also provide a safe path for any electricity resulting from a short. Actually, I think I would recommend that all your equipment be wired through a ground-fault system, given the conditions mentioned above. Far better idea, than having someone discover that YOU were the ground for any errant electricity.

CWS

Comment

My system is not grounded. At first, I would get zapped. Somehow the system seems to finds it's own ground or something, as I have not been zappped in well over a year, and getting closer to 2 years.

As far a the static causing a fire. If you can find one fire in a small shop that has been caused by this please let me know. I talked to several fire investigators, and none had even heard of such a thing.
        Support Our Troops!
        www.mnpatriotguard.org
        www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Hello,
          It's been a while since I've been back to this forum, seems like the traffic has slowed way down, but back to the subject at hand. When I bought my Jey DC I was told by the guy's at Wood craft not to even bother grounding my system. I've also seen people look at me like I' crazy for not grounging it and I've heard so many different ways to ground it that I just don't know what to do. But I must say that I have never been shocked , not once. Now I'm sure to get zapped good beings I said that.

[ 07-23-2004, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: tuff71 ]

Comment

I've never gotten shocked either. The only thing I've noticed is a fine layer of dust that sometimes builds up on the outside of the hoses and pipes.

Comment

Perhaps Mick can enlighten us on floating grounds. I'm not an electical wizard but I've heard that grounding things to different locations is a bad idea. Probably not a big deal with a little bit of static electricity buildup, but it is a big deal with high voltage like 110 or 220.

:~)

Mike
              Is this your homework Larry?

Comment

Very good point which I neglected to mention. To have the same potential energy you need to have a common ground. Floating ground maybe hazardous because they have no common return for one. Unless you are talking about a floating ground that is one that is just at a lower potential then the source like in electronics where .5 volts is sometimes ground compared to 1 volt?? In that case I am not sure that there is much of an issue as something like that has no bearing on static electricity. The point to remember is that you need to have a path of least resistance to a ground which should not be YOU 
                Again this is all just thing I remember from school, and school is getting farther and farther away.
                Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

Working...
                X