Double side tape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double side tape

I see a number of people use double side tape for quick setups and temporary attachments. Watching some of the podcasts over at Woodsimth they us it all the time.

My question is where do you get carpenter's double side tape? The only tape I can find is in the carpet section and I found some made by Duck but it all appears that it would be a permanent adhesive.

Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Double side tape

Here's one place, there are plenty more.

http://www.woodcraft.com/search/sear...ble+sided+tape
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Thanks Bob for the quick reply! Ouch that stuff is expensive.

The Woodcraft store in Houston is a hike for me but I will check it out the next time I am over in the area.

Comment

search the 'net for alternate sources like rockler, or highland hardware to name only two more. shipping will be less than the price of a gallon or tow of gas in most cases so just buy online and it will be in your mailbox in a couple days.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 08-03-2008, 09:57 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Will do. Now that I have a reference point I am in business.

Thanks!

Comment

Check Home Depot or Lowes, HD advertises this;

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100645279
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I've been using regular carpet for years and it works fine. IMHO
              Jim

Comment

This is where I like to shop......

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12178629...20%2Ci%3Atools

I also like to use hot glue, especial for clamping in certain applications....
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Depending upon the material, sometimes a hot glue gun will get ya what you need too for temporary setups.
                  Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by RoyBullets View Post
                    I see a number of people use double side tape for quick setups and temporary attachments. Watching some of the podcasts over at Woodsimth they us it all the time.

My question is where do you get carpenter's double side tape? The only tape I can find is in the carpet section and I found some made by Duck but it all appears that it would be a permanent adhesive.

Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.
                    I use the Duck brand carpet tape with few problems. I lean any glue residue left with denatured alcohol. (By few problems, I mean that sometimes it can be a pain to get the backing off the tape)

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Badger Dave

the tape on the link from HD is real carpet tape for joining 2 pieces of tape. you have to use an iron to melt the glue on this tape and i am not sure it would be easy to use on jigs or similar things. thanks levon

Comment

it does say no iron needed but it looks just like the sticky iron melted glue tape?? im not sure

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
                          Badger Dave

the tape on the link from HD is real carpet tape for joining 2 pieces of tape. you have to use an iron to melt the glue on this tape and i am not sure it would be easy to use on jigs or similar things. thanks levon
                          Oops, sorry bout that. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby you might want to check them out. I know they have some double sided tapes but I can't speak to the quality of it.
                          ================================================== ====
                          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I've used the "Turners tape" from Woodcraft, and I do like it better than the double-sided carpet tape I've seen elsewhere. The stuff from Woodcraft is thinner, yet very strong. The stuff at Penn State Industries is $13.95, and can be found here http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CMTAPE.html

It's basically the same thing as Woodcraft has.
                            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks to all the great suggestions. I am going to try and get over to Woodcraft tomorrow but I am going to try some of the Duck brand from Walmart as well.

If neither of those work out I will just order some online from the suggestions here.

It's funny that when I was a kid (many decades ago) my folks always had some of the cheapo double side tape around the house. It was the masking kind and was not very hard to remove.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                              X