Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a retrofitted elevation lock would be nice just for peace of mind, if anything, for the 3612.

Michael

Comment

Also the tS 2424 could use a blade break!

Originally posted by rmacmec:
      Bob, thanks for asking for input on this one. I think we all appreciate it because it is nice to see Ridgid listening (great job on the specs for the TS3650 by the way).

I agree that a brake would be a huge plus for me. If there was a way to rig it as an accessory, it may be a good way to market it without increasing the base price of the table saw. I would buy one for my 3612 (hint, hint [img]smile.gif[/img] ) Come to think of it, I may just rig one off the belt drive with a soleniod some day (power keeps the soleniod disengaged, turn off the power the soleniod engages on the belt).
      Andy B.

Comment

Not sure why I would even need a blade brake. I use a push stick to move stock out from next to the blade so I don't have to wait for anything. As for blind cuts, The wood will stop the blade fast enough.

Also, isn't the current 3612 motor a TEFC one? I thought it was.

I'm still looking for the best accessory...A 52"right front rail. The fence is great, but without a longer rail, I'm going to be buying a Biesemeyer.

Comment

Mike wrote: I use a push stick to move stock out from next to the blade so I don't have to wait for anything.

Be super-careful, Mike. If that piece hits the blade teeth, it could hit your teeth next.

Question for those who want brakes. Would you be willing to pay extra for your sawblades? Saws with brakes generally need to use indexing pins to keep the blade from coming loose during braking. Instead of just one hole, there are also (usually) a couple other holes for the pins.
          As for blind cuts, The wood will stop the blade fast enough.

Also, isn't the current 3612 motor a TEFC one?

TS3612 motor is ODP.

Dave

Comment

Dave, is this always the case for table saws (need saw blades with indexing pins)? My miter saw with a blade brake doesn't have one. I was basically unaware of this and am hoping you could share more info. I see why you would need one depending on just how quickly a blade brake stopped and depending on the mass of the blade (or dado stack).

Comment

Dave, I still feel that using a push stick is safer than just letting the wood sit there while the saw stops. (where any vibration could cause the wood to catch anyway) The only time this actually concerns me is in a cross cut, which in most cases, I have a stop block attached to the fence so I don't pinch the wood and have a kickback. In crosscuts, I just take my aluminum stick and knock teh block to the right away from the blade.

A blade brake may be nice, but there is no substitute for practicing safe sawing.

Comment

I don't really know if they always are needed. The (table) saws I'm familiar with that have brakes, have indexing pins, but I haven't done a survey or anything.

With regard to dado blades, more bad news. Saws that use indexing pins generally cannot use dado stacks (again, the saws I'm familiar with).

Mike, I do similarly. While being super careful.

Dave

Comment

I was at my local BOB yesterday, and I was watching a guy looking at ridgid table saws for his garage, and just kinda moseyed up to him and asked what was he going to use it for. he Just poured a floor in his 20 yr old pole barn(new workshop). wasn't going to move it out of the building. I showed him the 3612 on sale for 499.00. Then started spouting off about all of the things you guys have so graciously educated me on. He lives within 10 minutes of the Ridgid service center, and i told him how quickly my tools were serviced there (3 days max). He wrote a check and went home to get his truck.

The saw was a floor model so thats probably so cheap.(price the only thing cheap about the saw though)

By the way I own a dewalt contractor saw with all the accessories, but Ridgid has my utmost respect and I recommend it to everyone I talk tools with.

happy woodworking guys

Comment

Working...
                  X