Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ZCI Stock for TS2410LS

Originally posted by RoyBullets View Post
    It sounds like you did not use a flush trim bit with a bearing? These are awesome if you have not used one before.
    I used the flush trim bit for most of the routing, but then there is that part of the insert which protrudes about 1/2" towards the back of the saw and it sits in a corresponding cutout in the table. The lip (for the lack of the better word) keeps the insert from flying up.

The thing is that I routed the whole insert with that lip. The entire thickness. But since the lip is not as thick as the rest of the insert some material needs to be removed from the top of the insert, and that is the part I routed freehand.

Perhaps I need a different size flush bit, with the cutting element shorter than the one I have. The one I used is just too long for the purpose so if I used it the lip would have been routed off.

I'm not sure if I understand myself what I wrote here
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Darius, to make it easier to use the longer straight flush-cut bit you have, maybe you could do two ZCI blanks taped to the original? I had to do that, and actually I needed two ZCI's anyway. I can put two dado widths on one ZCI, but I needed 3/4", 1/2", and 1/4" dado ZCI's, so I did two at once.

Since I use both sides of the ZCI for the 3/4" and the 1/2" combo ZCI, I don't bother with the lip. The combo ZCI gets flipped over and end-for-end to do both dado widths. The ZCI is made to fit tight in the throat, so I don't need that lip to keep it in place. If you need a bit more on the sides, I use blue painters tape or duct tape to make up the width. I also use tape to make the ZCI flush, instead of drilling and tapping for screws. The tape will have enough give to it that if the ZCI is sitting a bit proud, a whack with a mallet will put it flush.

By the way, welcome to the forums!! Good to have you here.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I agree with VASandy. I cut my first one with the clip but it just did not work out. Then I flipped the orignal plate over and used it for the round pattern on the other side (so both sides were completely round).

I also made mine tight and sanded lightly to fit. One that seemed a little loose I put a couple pieces of masking tape on the edge and it fits great. Actually as long as you do not torque down the screw the plate will lay flat.

Comment

I finished my ZCIs today using melamime covered particle board as the stock. My method was to:
          - Rip them to width using the TS
          - Cut most of the corners using a bandsaw
          - Flush trim them (with double stick tape) on a make shift router table
          - Cut a kerf with the saw blade so there is a place for it to rise
          - Rabbet the front and back on the RT
          - Drive a nail in for back support
          - Drill and countersink a front screw hole

What I would do differently:
          - I tried a washer for the first one instead of the nail, the MCP wouldn't take a screw
          - I would cut the blade kerf before I cut the curves on the bandsaw trim them so it is easier to push through the TS
          - Even better than cutting the kerf would be to use a RD to cut a stopped groove, so that the blade could be raised all the way. With just a kerf, the arbor/arbor nut get in the way of raising it all the way.

This is the ZCI in the saw:
          Name:  afe47a4215f4b667425edbceff864fa4.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  90.7 KB

This is the back with the rabbet and the nail.
          Name:  0ed50f4db1908bf5faf55d089b1d3d19.jpg
Size:  43.7 KB

By using my depth gauge to set the rabbet depth, I didn't need to worry about set screws.

Comment

CPW

I had thought of drilling a hole and trying to epoxy a roll pin in where you put the nail. One problem i ran into was not knowing how much to raise the saw blade, consequently i kept running the dado blade, then having to take out the isert and the replace several times. My first ones were half inch birch ply. The last ones i made were made of laminate flooring. they were thin enouugh i didnt have to groove out the ends.

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
              CPW

I had thought of drilling a hole and trying to epoxy a roll pin in where you put the nail. One problem i ran into was not knowing how much to raise the saw blade, consequently i kept running the dado blade, then having to take out the isert and the replace several times. My first ones were half inch birch ply. The last ones i made were made of laminate flooring. they were thin enouugh i didnt have to groove out the ends.
              Did you need set screws, or did the thickness work out right?

Comment

I used set screws, but they are pretty easy to put in.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  I finished my ZCIs today using melamime covered particle board as the stock. My method was to:
                  - Rip them to width using the TS
                  - Cut most of the corners using a bandsaw
                  - Flush trim them (with double stick tape) on a make shift router table
                  - Cut a kerf with the saw blade so there is a place for it to rise
                  - Rabbet the front and back on the RT
                  - Drive a nail in for back support
                  - Drill and countersink a front screw hole

What I would do differently:
                  - I tried a washer for the first one instead of the nail, the MCP wouldn't take a screw
                  - I would cut the blade kerf before I cut the curves on the bandsaw trim them so it is easier to push through the TS
                  - Even better than cutting the kerf would be to use a RD to cut a stopped groove, so that the blade could be raised all the way. With just a kerf, the arbor/arbor nut get in the way of raising it all the way.

This is the ZCI in the saw:
                  Name:  afe47a4215f4b667425edbceff864fa4.jpg
Size:  90.7 KB

This is the back with the rabbet and the nail.
                  Name:  0ed50f4db1908bf5faf55d089b1d3d19.jpg
Size:  43.7 KB

By using my depth gauge to set the rabbet depth, I didn't need to worry about set screws.
                  I really like the way these look and turned out. Will keep Melamine in mind for the future.

Thanks.

Comment

I used a 1/2" thick piece of oak, traced it with a thin pencil line, band sawed it close and finished the radius's on a belt sander. I didn't bother with the nub as it hasn't been a problem lifting.
                    I than ran it through the planer until it was flush with the table. Be aware that you need to give the bottom a good chamfering all around as the pocket in the table is initially milled with an end mill that has a small radius on the teeth for wear/chipping problems.
                    I then put in a dado set to create a pocket about half the thickness (1/4"), then the standard blade and cranked it all the way up.
                    When doing this, the easiest way to hold down the insert firmly is to position the fence (right of center) and use regular playing cards as shims for a solid hold-down. In my case 3 or 4 cards did the trick.
                    The whole thing took about an hour to construct.

Comment

Originally posted by Davet View Post
                      Strange, I can see the photos? Hummmm....?
                      Lets try this way.
                      I am hung on 2 items:
                      Lost on the setscrew part. You said you drilled and tapped for screws.
                      I didn't know you can tap wood and laminate, AM I wrong ? or did you use a screw insert which get pushed into the wood to hold the screw, but just didn't mention it ?

I only have 2 pieces of flooring laminate so I care not to experiment. My floor Laminate is only .323 less than 3/8 or .375 as used by you. My TS2400 LS stock insert is .365 plus its setscrew making it total .457

I'd appreciate your help whether I can tap the laminate without the additional aluminum insert and if .323 thickness is sufficient (or should I glue 2 pieces of Laminate together.)

Thank you for the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X