ZCI Stock for TS2410LS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZCI Stock for TS2410LS

Are you guys getting sick of me yet? Here is my next problem I hope to get some advice on.

I have read every post here and on the web I could find on making some ZCIs. I have the router table all setup and I am all ready to make about 5 that I know I will need right away but I am having a heck of a time trying to find some decent stock to use. Of course I am working on the cheap as well.

The plate in the TS2410 is 3/8" but all of my scrap plywood that is any good is 1/2". I have some junk sanded one side that is perfect size but would require a lot of finishing to make it smooth enough (I think).

I can find 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 MDF at HD but either I would need to router out the bottom a lot or glue some pieces together. I do have some 1/8 and 1/4 hard board I use for jigs and was thinking of gluing some of those together.

The only decent priced, decent finished stock I can find that is the right size is some 3/8 pine "hobby" board at Lowes.

I looked around for some plastic cutting boards (UMVW?) but could not find any that were cheap enough in my opinion.

So the questions are:

1) Using 1/4 of any stock alone seems too thin unless I built it up or glue it. Any comments on gluing?

2) I am thinking of using the pine board but I am sure it will expand, shrink or warp. What do you think about putting some poly or a wax finish to protect it?

3) What am I missing? Seems like maybe the TS2410 has a thinner plate than some of the other Table saws that folks are using.

Sorry for the long ramble. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Re: ZCI Stock for TS2410LS

I don't have an RT, and haven't made one of these, but this is how I would go about it.

I think it shouldn't be too hard to take a 1/2 piece flush trim it to your stock insert to get a 1/2 piece that is the right shape, but a bit proud of the table. You can then take put a rabbetting bit in the RT and take off 1/8" of an inch around the ends of the insert, so the outside is the right size, but the inside just drops in.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
      I don't have an RT, and haven't made one of these, but this is how I would go about it.

I think it shouldn't be too hard to take a 1/2 piece flush trim it to your stock insert to get a 1/2 piece that is the right shape, but a bit proud of the table. You can then take put a rabbetting bit in the RT and take off 1/8" of an inch around the ends of the insert, so the outside is the right size, but the inside just drops in.
      Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that as well but after removing the current plate, there is some steel that is about 1/3 the width of the opening and runs the length. I would have to do some serious routing out of the bottom to remove enough to drop is all the way down.

Not that is out of the question but seemed like more work than I was thinking of having to do. I will revisit this idea though.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyBullets View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that as well but after removing the current plate, there is some steel that is about 1/3 the width of the opening and runs the length. I would have to do some serious routing out of the bottom to remove enough to drop is all the way down.

Not that is out of the question but seemed like more work than I was thinking of having to do. I will revisit this idea though.

Thanks.
        This is the cut out so there is room for the blade? The conventional wisdom there is to start your ZCI cut using a dado blade, because it will fit and then move to the actual blade before you break through but after you have cut enough so that the real blade fits.

Comment

I have a TS2400 and also needed just a hair thinner than 3/8"
          I bought some 1/2" oak from one of the the big box stores.
          Made a make shift sled and used my router as a planner to get
          it to the thickness I wanted.
          I tapped the oak zci for little leveling set screws, which levels
          the zci back up flush with the top of the table.

I hear some fellas use laminated flooring that come in 3/8" thickness.
          Last edited by Davet; 08-07-2008, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Heres some pictures

Comment

Here they are guys. http://www.hoistman.com/HoistMan/ZCItute.html
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

cpw - I will take a picture and show you what I mean. It is part of the saw frame so there is not actually a hole straight for the entire circumfrence of the opening.

Davet- Your photos did not come through but I was thinking this as well and know how to do some planing on the router. I will give this one a try.

PapaDan- I had run across your post earlier and thought it was awesome. The problem is I have not been able to find the flooring at HD or Lowes by me. I will check a couple of other flooring places and see if they had it.

Thanks to all.

Comment

cpw - If you take a look a PapaDan's second photo on his link that shows the opening on the TS2400 it is completely open. My TS2410 is not like that but I will post a photo this evening to show what I mean.

Comment

Strange, I can see the photos? Hummmm....?
                    Lets try this way.
                    Attached Files

Comment

There's one of the fellas that use Laminate flooring!

papadan,
                      Great job with your Tutorial.
                      I especially like the way you show how to pre-cut the plate
                      in step 7

Snip:
                      7. The blade on my saw does not
                      retract low enough for the new insert
                      to fit all the way down into the
                      recess of the table. I installed the
                      original insert and set the blade
                      height to .1". I set my fence right on
                      the edge of the insert and ran the
                      new insert blanks over the blade.

Thanks .... Dave

Comment

It's been a while since I made ZCI's for my 2400 but if I remember correctly the thickness of the throat plate was actually 7/16". A piece of scrap 7/16" ply fit in there perfectly. 3/8" doesn't quite reach the top. I also used some thicker 1/2" pieces and just dialed them down to width on the planer. Another trick you can use is to get a slightly thinner board that you need and screw 4 flat head screws under each corner. Adjust them to raise the insert to just the right height.

What I did to build mine was to start by ripping the pieces of ply on the saw to exactly the same width as the throat plate. Then I clampled the stock plate over the cut strips and cut the corners off with a jigsaw 1/4" over the final edge. I then used a palm router with a flush trim bit guided on the clampled plate to finish off the corners.

Comment

Roy: thanks for asking these questions, i too am new and trying to figure out how to make some zci inserts for my new 3660 and im asking a lot of dumb questions. but these people on this forum are so knowledgeable and they are a wealth of insight on any questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                            It's been a while since I made ZCI's for my 2400 but if I remember correctly the thickness of the throat plate was actually 7/16". A piece of scrap 7/16" ply fit in there perfectly. 3/8" doesn't quite reach the top. I also used some thicker 1/2" pieces and just dialed them down to width on the planer. Another trick you can use is to get a slightly thinner board that you need and screw 4 flat head screws under each corner. Adjust them to raise the insert to just the right height.

What I did to build mine was to start by ripping the pieces of ply on the saw to exactly the same width as the throat plate. Then I clampled the stock plate over the cut strips and cut the corners off with a jigsaw 1/4" over the final edge. I then used a palm router with a flush trim bit guided on the clampled plate to finish off the corners.
                            Not sure if they changed something or not but the TS2410 is exactly 3/8". I think I have the technique down no problem just settling on the stock I want to use.

BTW, went to Woodcraft today at lunch and they want $25 for the lee valley insert for the TS2400.

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
                              Roy: thanks for asking these questions, i too am new and trying to figure out how to make some zci inserts for my new 3660 and im asking a lot of dumb questions. but these people on this forum are so knowledgeable and they are a wealth of insight on any questions asked.
                              No problem. I really try to research before asking my questions and the folks here are great.

My problem is I am trying to do something fast, cheap and good. In life you only get to pick 2 out of those 3 things at any one time

Comment

Working...
                              X