X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP1300LS

i just bought a TP1300LS. I noticed on the box that is said made in Tiwan(sp) to strict rigid guidelines or something like that.

My question is, is this the original planer that ridgid made or one of the new breed made by OWT? I haven't opened the box yet in case I need to take it back for one of the original ridgid models, plus I haven't told the wife I bought it yet

Any help would be great.

The new Planer along with the DP, BS, Jointer etc., look the same as the old ones they are replacing except for the more extensive use of orange paint. The TP13002, the old one was made in Taiwan. What's the full model of yours? I am assuming the're all coming from the same factories as before, but under the OWT management & logistics.

If your's mentions OWT on the box and the box is in the new color scheme, then you got a new one with the Lifetime Service Warranty. The old ones are on discount for $329, new ones nearer the original $425 price.

David

Comment

Thx. Mine was $329 and I believe the manf date was in feb of 2003 is I am reading the lot # corectly. The box looks to be of the old style, not a lot of flash and orange. I feel better about it now:O)

Now how to get the jointer before the end of the year? Someone wanna loan me $400 on a 100 year installment plan? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Cutbuff,
        Do you know what the difference is between the old model planer and the new model?

Comment

Cutbuff might have additional info, but I think the only tools that actually changed were the large table saw and the CMSs---from what I could see everything else is the same.
          Dave

Comment

If that's the case, it's odd that they would unload the old planers for $329 and then roll out the "new" planers (I'm assuming that they're just the ones that have been produced by OWT, rather than the ones that have been in inventory) for $425. I've also heard rumors that the $329 price is in repsonse to the new DeWalt planer that sells for about $475. I'm trying to follow this closely, since the Ridgid model is on my list, but if the price goes up to $425, I'd rather have the full-featured DeWalt.

Comment

Yogi----they seem to be clearing the decks of all the old Ridgid tools, regardless of whether there are any changes (other than color). While the Ridgid planer has always earned prase, I agree with you, at the $425 price, they're way behind the times what with the Delta 2-speed and the new DeWalts.
              Dave

Comment

Dave's observations are the same as mine. The Table Saw and CMS's are new and have been designated as such with their model number changes, but everything that's retained the old model numbering seems exactly the same, from the same factories, with the same specs. Only difference is coloring and new packaging.

David

Comment

Just want to mention in case you aren't aware, the Lifetime warranty applies to *ANY* Ridgid tool bought in the time frame indicated, not just the newer models- I even called to CS toll free number to double check-

Pritch-
                  Augusta, GA
                  Pritch-

Comment

The lifetime warranty is printed in all the manuals in the old stuff, so I would suspect that's part of the reason you see them discounting the old versions, even though they may not have changed with the new orange look. The plan seems to be to stop selling any Ridgid tool, with a lifetime warranty, after 12/31/03.
                    Dave

Comment

So is the $329 planer a good buy? I was looking at them today and saw it is in the old box etc. If it is the old box is it still made in Taiwan?and if so is it still a good planer for the $$$$.

Comment

I think the planer is a very good buy for that price. I own the old one, but I paid full price for it a year ago I looked at the Delta two speed but decided on the Ridgid because it came with a dust hood and stand. As for two speeds, so far it has not been an issue for me having only one speed. I've planed large amounts of pine, and a good amount of walnut, and some maple, oak and other species. So far, the cuts have been smooth. I can't comment on knife changing because I haven't had to do that yet. The planer also comes with a spare set of knives. The DeWalt two speed wasn't around when I purchased the Ridgid so I don't know what it has going for it.

Comment

Yep, the old one is an excellent buy. I paid full price last year also over the competition based on: two pairs reversible blades, sturdy stand,dust collection, and lifetime warranty. Mine has held up well, approaching 10k board feet to date! I am now on the first side of my second pair of blades.
                          \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

Labguy,

It's made in the same factory, in Taiwan. Get it for $329 or less and you've got a great buy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

David

Comment

Just registered as a new user and was looking for help on the Rigid TP1300LS planer. I am supposed to get up early in the morning and go out with the wife shopping. Home Depot has this planer on sale for 379 with the lifetime warranty. Is that about as good as it gets. Is it one of the better planers. I am still a little green about some of these tools. Thanks.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X