X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstalling Jointer/Planer Blades

I am in between projects right now so I thought it would be a good time to do some regular maintenance on my Rigid tools. I have cleaned the jointer and planer blades. I have also sent the jointer blades off to get sharpened. The guy do the sharpening has told me it is quite an ordeal to reinstalling these blades for perfect alignment. The manual does not mention this as a big concern. Is it a big deal? Does anyone have a technique that works? Is the planer a problem as well? I just reversed the blades and tightened the gib bolts down -seemed simple! Oh ya, what is a good cleaner to get gum and pitch removed from the tools? Any input is much appreciated. David

Reinstalling the blades for the Ridgid planer is a breeze. I'm a complete novice and I did it in less than 15 minutes.

Just be sure to not touch the edges, they are sharp!

Michael

Comment

Also the jointer blades are pretty easy. I took them out and reinstalled them for practice. It was pretty easy. I also purchased a tool with bars and magnets that hold the jointer blades at top center for you to tighten them. It made the whole process much easier.

Michael

Comment

What model jointer do you have? If it is the new one, you just drop them in.
        But, since you said you sent them out to be sharpened, I assume you have an older model.
        Support Our Troops!
        www.mnpatriotguard.org
        www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I did the planer blades this weekend. Real simple, just be careful. I made it with only one band aid [img]smile.gif[/img] What a difference it made, I really did not realize just how dull the old blades had gotten. New blades made quick work of some red oak I have been drying.

Comment

Depending on whether you have the JP0610 or the JP0600:

JP0600; use the included jig to set each blade. Place the blade in the head, next to the wedge bar. Using the jig, press down against the spring loaded blade until the feet of the jig contact the cutterhead. Tighten the wedge.

JP0610; use the jack screws. Place the blade in position on the cutterhead. Using a straight edge resting on the outfeed table, adjust the rear jack screw so the knife just touches the straight edge. Move the straight edge to the front and do the same. Tighten the wedge.

Jake

Comment

Working...
            X