X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing multiple woods

I am building my wife an artist's easel. The main beam is comprised of primarily Cherry, with strips of bloodwood, walnut and maple sandwiched in. Now I have no idea what finish products/process will be compatible with all of them. This is my first project with any of these woods (always used oak in the past) and I have no idea what I should use.

Appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    Matt

Re: Finishing multiple woods

This is a formula used by Don Kondra contributing editor of Canadian Home Workshop and it works great. This is a wipe on finish which is easy to apply in those not so dust free environments ...

25% pure tung oil, 25% spar (exterior) varnish, 50% paint thinner. 4 - 6 drops of Japan drier/cup of mix.

Only mix as much as you expect to use in three days, it will harden even in a tightly closed glass container. The Japan drier is a catalyst to ensure two dissimilar products will dry..

This is a combination of pure tung oil to enhance the grain and spar varnish for the durability. The added bonus of this finish is it goes on like an oil, that is you wipe it on and off with the same rag. No drips or brush marks, quick to apply and it dries dust free in twenty minutes or so. That's not much time for dust to land on the project if you don't have a dedicated finish area. And it takes up to a week to fully harden so sanding between coats is simply a matter of a quick rub with scotchbrite pads.

I usually apply four coats to legs, aprons, etc and at least six on table tops. The coats go on fairly thin so I quit when it looks and feels "right". I normally apply one coat in the morning and another at the end of the day.

When I feel I am done I leave it dry for two days and give it a light sanding with 600 grit. Then I take a rag slightly dampened with paint thinner and quickly wipe with the grain. This will "melt" any sanding scratches.

Comment

No matter what recipe you choose, you should practice it on some of your offcuts first.

Comment

Wayne,

What kind of spar do you recommend? Brands? Gloss vs satin?

CPW - Good idea!

Comment

I don't have a favourite brand but the marine grades are excellent quality.

As for gloss or satin that would be your choice for the appearance of your project, there is no difference in protection factor for either sheen

Comment

You can buy Danish Oil pre mixed and is about the same as the fomula above. It sinks deep into the wood and brings out the natural beauty of all woods. It is not going to have a shine to it. If you want a shine you can put wipe on Poly over it. Follow the directions on the can.

Comment

Working...
            X