TP1300LS planner vs. JP0610 Joiner planner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP1300LS planner vs. JP0610 Joiner planner

I'm new to woodworking and I am wondering if it is worth buying a planner now while the lifetime warrenty is still good. I already picked up a band saw, table saw, drill press, and miter saw back in December. I plan to build a garage and deck in the new few years as well at a lot of furniture for my house. The big advantage of the TP1300LS that I see this that I can do 12" boards while only 6" boards with the JP0610. I also plan to get one of those hand held biscut joiner in the future too. I assume they make the JP0610 for a good reason. What can I do with it that the TP1300LS can't do?

Oh also forgot to mention that buy a router and making a table for it is in my future plans as well.

Comment

Muckdog, The main use of the JP0610 is for straightening the edges of your boards. It will plane the face but only on narrow boards. A jointer (JP0610) is the only tool I don't have and have had no need for one. I use my tablesaw for straightening the edges and my router for smoothing them out for jointing. You will need to check, but I believe the lifetime warrenty ended Jan. 1 and now it is 3 years. I have had my TP1300 for almost 2 years now and wouldn't think of replacing it with any other brand.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan:
        You will need to check, but I believe the lifetime warrenty ended Jan. 1 and now it is 3 years.
        It ends January 31 [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-16-2004, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Marcus ]

Comment

The jointer is for edge jointing boards and for "planing" narrow boards (up to 6") that are slightly twisted or bowed, things that a planer cannot do. I have never had any luck edge jointing rough cut boards on my table saw, so I will be buying a jointer when I get my next load of rough cut lumber. If you are using or are going to use rough cut lumber I would recommend a joimter. If you are going to be using only finished lumber, you don't need one.
          Lorax
          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Planers and jointers are different tools that perform different tasks. They work best in tandem. A jointer is the best powertool for flattening a bowed or twisted board, and making an adjacent edge square to the flat face. A planer removes thickness, makes the board feel smoother, but will not effectively correct a bowed or twisted board without alot of fussing with shims. It only duplicates what's on the opposite side, so a jointer is needed to flatten that opposite face before planing. A jointer, planer, and TS are the primary work triangle in most shops. Having flat and square stock is essential to precision joinery. Even S4S lumber is rarely perfectly flat and square from the lumber yard.

Step one is to flatten one face on the jointer, then square an adjacent edge. Step two is to plane the opposite face on the planer, then ultimately to final thickness. Step three is to rip to final width on the TS with the jointed edge against the fence. If all the tools are set up properly, and good technique is used, you'll be ready for some really tight joints.

Comment

Thanks for the good answers, I knew there was a reason for both to exist. Also funny thing, just after reading the responses today I catch the New Yankee Workshop show using both tools and mentioning the same thing about their uses.

Comment

At HD yesterday and Marcus is correct. The lifetime warrenty has been extended until 01/31/04
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                X